Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jim Shockey with TC Encore??

Old 12-28-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Jim Shockey with TC Encore??

I was reading my new North American Whiteail magazine last night.
I saw an article where Jim Shockey was hunting in China with a TC Encore
rifle. Is he still with Knight rifles?
I really enjoy watching Jim's tv shows.....

Rusty
Old 12-28-2005, 10:37 AM

Default RE: Jim Shockey with TC Encore??

There's a story in Big Game Adventures of Jim hunting sheep in Iran! You should see the photos of him with an iranian guide, he's got his knight, the guides got some full automatic machine gun! They really look funny next to each other!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:39 AM

From what I understand he's with T/C now.Supposedly the split was not a good one.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:49 AM

I'm wondering if that is what the deal is...I can't imagine him shooting a TC
and still be with knight.....I guess time will tell.

rusty
Old 12-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Well you think of it, Shocky was doing all of Knight's promotion videos and was basically their best know "hunting" figure. I would guess when he decided to go to Thompson Center, this put a big crimp in the Knight image.

I wonder if his new Encore had T/C painted in fancy letter on the stock so when he poses with is critters everyone knows he is shooting a Thompson Center?

The mighty dollar can make a lot of people decide what they like best.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:01 AM

I'm sure it's probably a money deal. Whoever, has the highest bid gets him..
It doesn't matter much too me. I'll still watch his shows....

Rusty
Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 AM

I have wondered what was going with the marketing of the APP powder. In the ads I have seen, there is a picture of a T/C omega on one side of the page, and there is an inset pic of Shockey with a big moose and his Knight rifle. Looks like he is playing both sides of the fence.

If JS has indeed began to endorse T/C products, I hope that T/C doesn't get rid of their traditional ML's (i.e. hawkens). I like inlines...but I have a nostagic side that has me keeping at least one side lock in the gun safe!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

elk_chaser1

I really think you have little to worry about with Thompson Center dropping their traditional line of rifles. They tried dropping the Renegade once and the outcry from the muzzleloading buying public was so strong they brought it back. I think they called it the Renegade Hunter then with a single trigger. The Hawkins rifle has been Thompson Center's shining trademark since 1970 I think. Most other rifles before then were custom made. Their Hawkins is what opened the commercial manufactured traditional rifle to the buying public. It is a bread and butter rifle of theirs. I do regret that they stopped making the rifles in .54 and .58 caliber and one must go to Fox Ridge Outfitters (which I think is technically Thompson Center) to get the big bores. They are my favorite.

The T/C Firestorm flintlock took many of the modern flintlock rifle buyers by "firestorm" you might say. They offered a removable breech design for easier cleaning, the ability to shoot pellets, fiber optic sights, and still in a flintlock. I like those rifles. I have been looking at a stainless steel model for some time now.

Another company that learned the hard way about discontinuing the traditional line of rifles was Connecticut Valley Arms. They stopped all production of them but it is my understanding they brought back their Hawkins, Mountian Rifle, and Bobcat. When you have a good product that sells, it makes no sense to stop it.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. I watch his hunts, not his weapon of choice.

ORIGINAL: Rusty in MO.

It doesn't matter much too me. I'll still watch his shows....

Rusty
Old 12-29-2005, 01:58 PM

I really don't think you can go wrong with TC or Knight. I have both of them...

Rusty

Quick Reply: Jim Shockey with TC Encore??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.