Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep site

Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Peep site

Campo,
Most of my peeps are the T/C Hunting style. "Yes" you can drill these out and they work great for hunting! If there's not a scope on my rifle it has a peep sight instead.
For hunting purposes you need to drill them out, so you can see through them better in low light situations. Don't worry about loosing accuracy, your eye will automatically center the front sight in the peep.
In really low light situations you can remove the rear peep and use the ghost ring (threaded hole that held the peep). The ghost ring works great in these conditions and I still like it better than iron sights.
I use to shoot acompound bow withpeep and fiber optic pins. Here in Illinois during the archery season we areallowed to shoot 1/2hr. before sunriseto 1/2hr. after sunset. Using a peep and fiber optic sights I was able to see the sights just fine. I've taken deer right up to the last few minutes of legal shooting time.
Scopes are my 1st choice, but I'll take a good peep and fiber optic sightwhen scopes aren't allowed.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Okay, I was unaware that you could drill your 7194 peep out. That would really make it attractive for me to put mine back on the Renegade and give it a try again for hunting. What is the best for hunting 1/64th or 3/32nd? Where do you pick up the ghost ring at? Thanks, another reason to go and shoot my ML.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

TC209X50,
It's been awhile since I've drilled one out. I'm not sure exactly what dia. they are to start with.The peep that I'll be using nextweekhas been drilled out to 3/32" (.093)Lets say your peeps hole is 1/32" (.032) I'd drill it out to .050take it outside late in the eve. and look into the dark shadows. Can you see well enough now to shoot a deer? If not take the peep off and drill it out a little larger.The nice thing about this is that you don't have to shoot the gun to try it out.
The ghost ring is the tappedhole on thepost that holds the peep in place. This tapped hole is approx. .200" in dia. so you can imagine the hole that you can look through on those really dark early mornings/late evenings.
Use a drill press if you can to drill your peep out. You'll also need vice grip fingers to hold the peep as you drill to keep it from spinning on you.Do not plunge the drill into the peep...take iteasy and let the drill do it's job.
If you don't feel comfortable doing this take it to someone who can help you!

Old 01-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

ghost ring

Old 01-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

peep sight w/.093" hole

Old 01-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

good info. question,i bought the V-PEEP sight from RMC SPORTS. he claims that it is great for blurry eyes and darkness.the top of the sight is cut like v. on my rifles all my peeps mount where you have yours, back behind . on the V-PEEP it goes in place of the original sight location which is half way up the barrel. i am wondering if my sight,V-PEEP would work better if it was back where you have your peep located?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off I think your V peep would work a bit better if moved back on the tang. It would give you a longer sight plane for one thing.

Got the new peep sight out of the vacum pack to see where I wanted it placed on the tang. I must have one of those older Hawkins some one told about as I had a set type screw about half way between the tang screws so the peep lined right up with the rear tang screw and where the set type screw was. WA LA it is on and looks nice on there. I do need to take a trip out the the shop for a drift pin to remove the rear leaf so I can get the front screw out. Can't see the front sight as it is.
Crappy misty freezing rain here today so I am not shooting today DRAT.
My friend has a lyman on a Win. 94 that has an apeture as big as the ghost ring on this T/C peep. Works fine for him.

Al
Old 01-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had the hunter style peep on my new englander. i took it off after bear hunting in maine with it. you cant see well with it in dark timber as the sun is setting . i never noticed any better accuracy than the regular site. some hunters love the peep site i didnt like it. probably better for deer hunting and longer shots.i still have it come to think of it . time for the classifieds
Old 01-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

liquidorange,
"yes" I can imagine that l@@king through a peep sightin dark timber on a black bear would be difficult. Did you have the peep drilled out and/or did you try taking it off and use the ghost ring? Havinga fiber optic front sight on that New Englander might have helped youtoo. Bowhunters use this same setup on their bowsall the time bear hunting.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Encoreman,Thanks a bunch for the info., a picture is worth a 1000 words. I'm going to try drilling mine out. First starting off small then going up. So when it's refered to using the ghost ring you simply just take the peep off, correct? Is it better to use the globe front style or can you use just the standard front bead just fine? If I'm understanding this correct I think it's intended to use the factor front ramp. The renegade that I'll be using this on has the front bead. Thanks a lot you guys are a big help.

Quick Reply: Peep site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.