Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

question for a newbie

Old 12-25-2005, 11:37 AM

Default question for a newbie

about how long can you leave your powder and your load in your gun?? like lets say i dont see anything or shoot anything when im hunting..how long can i leave that load in my gun?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question for a newbie

Depends on outdoor weather dampness & how good you are at keeping the barrel temps somewhat in a close temperature range - how good you are at keeping the muzzle pointed downwards when damp too. Temperatur changes from bringing the rifle indoors after a hunt (or) putting it in a warm vehicle after a long, cold hunt can ruin powders. If it's foggy, high humidity or rain/snow, I will shoot it after the morning hunt - then again after the evening hunt.

It all depends on alot of things! Sometimes you learn thru trial & errors. Some loaded guns have beeninstantly fired decades after loading it using blackpowder. I only know of one instance where Pyrodex was fired from a loaded gun several years after loading it. The rifle was kept in a bedroom closet with a silicone gun sock over the muzzle & slipped down to the trigger guard for easy removal.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en as usual brings up good points. I have tried that leaving them loaded stuff. I just can not do it anymore. When I do it is more for a test then anything else. I can't stand sitting out there wondering all day if the rifle is going to fire when I pull the trigger.

I unload at the end of the day, clean the rifle as necessary, and reload on a fresh charge the next day. Then there is not that little voice in my head all day telling me; its not going to shoot!!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:06 PM

thanks for the help guys

[/align]