Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally got my hawken

Old 12-23-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Finally got my hawken

Well, I just took her out of the box and my my, it really is in pretty nice shape.
For those of you who are wondering, see my past post on buying a new "used" Bp rifle.
Followed the advice, and put a shined .270 shell down her, and a flashnight revealed nothing but a bright glow, with no real dark spots to speak of, just some dust. I guess this means that everything is ok?
The stock is in great condition, with only one little ding that gives it the character of Clint Eastwood, tough and mean. Set her to hair trigger, and slapped her around, and nothing set off, another good sign.
I wont be shooting her for a week or so, but, in the meantime she will sit next to my other rifles, pround to be part of my collection.
Thank you all for your advice, and Ill be sure to post as soon as she get used
THANK YOU AGAIN ALL!
AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Old 12-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally got my hawken

Happy Holidays to you to! Good luck with your rifle.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Good luck with your new rifle. I am sure it will give you many years of excellent service.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Campo

The stock is in great condition, with only one little ding that gives it the character of Clint Eastwood, tough and mean.
If you got a T/C Hawken which has a polyurethane varnish on the stock, you might want to consider stripping the varnish and finishing the stock with an oil finish. IMO, it makes a much better looking rifle. It's easy to do. Just remove all thbe hardware and apply any of the paste type paint/varnish removers, let sit for about 20 minutes and clean with medium steel wool. Do this twice and it will remove all the old varnish. Lightly sand the stock with 220 grit sandpaper, polish with fine steel wooland apply an oil finish according to directions. I have use both tung oil and Danish oil finishes and both look great.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess this means that everything is ok??

Sounds like it!