Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question(s) about Bp pistols

Old 12-23-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Question(s) about Bp pistols

Ok, Ive seen em in cabelas and on the internet for sale, and after thinking these units out, I cannot figure out a few things, so I am turning to the forum *ahem cayugad* for some answers
1. Do these things take cartidges that you load yourself, they cant be muzzleoaders, or am I wrong?
2. If they do take cartridges, does the percussion cap go in the cartridge, or what?
3. If they do take a cartridge that you make yourself, how is it your dont need a pistol permit (In NYS) to own these things, seems like they are no different that a normal pistol, other than you have to make the cartridges yourself
4. Please, if anyone has the time, describe (basically) how you use these things. I have been looking at them for sometime, and think I would like to get into them (pending the answers to above questions)
5. Thank you again all for dealing with a noob, and happy holidays!
Campo
Old 12-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question(s) about Bp pistols

Here is a video clip from cabelas to look at.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&rid=&i ndexId=cat20817&navAction=push&navCount=3& amp;parentType=index&parentId=cat20817&id= 0015516
Old 12-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question(s) about Bp pistols

1. Do these things take cartidges that you load yourself, they cant be muzzleoaders, or am I wrong?
No they do not take a cartridge. You load each individual cylinder like you would the breech of a muzzleloader rifle. The difference is they load from the side of the cylinder in the case of the 1858 New Army of Navy six shot revolver. The actual single shot pistol like a kentucky pistol is loaded in the same manner as a muzzleloader.

2. If they do take cartridges, does the percussion cap go in the cartridge, or what?
On the back of the cylinder is a small nipple to each open cylinder. They take a #10 percussion cap there.

3. If they do take a cartridge that you make yourself, how is it your dont need a pistol permit (In NYS) to own these things, seems like they are no different that a normal pistol, other than you have to make the cartridges yourself
Check you local and State regulations. Many places these revolvers are regulated.

4. Please, if anyone has the time, describe (basically) how you use these things. I have been looking at them for sometime, and think I would like to get into them (pending the answers to above questions)
On the six shot model, using a small powder flask you dump into the empty cylinder 25 grains of Goex 3f, Pyrodex P, Triple Se7en 3f, or Pinnacle 3f powder. You then place a lubed fiber wonderwad over that. On top of the wad you place a .451 round ball in my case or an actual conical bullet. The loading lever located under the barrel works on a pivot press system. You line up the set chamber under the press lever and then press all the parts of the load into the cylinder under the lip of the cylinder so it can still rotate. After you have all six cylinders (many load only five cylinders and carry on an empty one) You put bore butter or Crisco over the end of the cylinder to prevent a chain fire of the spark and fire from an ignited cylinder jumping from loaded cylinder to cylinder. After all of that you put the #10 caps on each nipple behind the loaded cylinder and you are now ready to shoot.[quote]

5. Thank you again all for dealing with a noob, and happy holidays!
I hope this answered your question and happy holidays to you and everyone else.