Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

M/L DOE

Old 12-22-2005, 12:46 PM

Default M/L DOE

HAD SOME GOOD LUCK MONDAY MORNING SHE CAME BY TROTTING AROUND 9.00HEARD HER COMING DO TO THE ICE FORMED OVER THE SNOW, CAME WITHIN 20YARDS GAVE HER THE BAAAAH! TO STOP HER ,SHE WENT 40 YARDS,ONLY 400, DOE PERMITS WERE 400 HUNDRED PERMITS WERE ISSUED IN THIS AREA, THE GUN I WAS USING WAS CVA KODIAK WITH 295 POWERBELTS WITH 100GRAINS OF 777

Old 12-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: M/L DOE

WOW.. that is a nice fat looking doe. Real good eating there. Congratulation on the deer with your muzzleloader. Those powerbelts are real deer takers.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:34 AM

thank you cayugad,the funny thing is it she went about 40 yards without leaving one drop of blood, yeah see is a fatty brought her to the bucther cause iam working 14-15 hour shifts six days aweek and he said she has alot of meat on her compare to the deer that are being brought in , another thing i thought was strange was the eixt hole look like the entrance hole, iam wondering if it was the load [&:]
Old 12-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

It seems if you hit them high in the lungs I've noticed, a lot of times they will run off and leave hardly a drop. I shot one a couple years back I almost thought I missed other then the hair at the place she was standing when I popped her. Cut a tracking stick and started after her and finally, she started leaving blood on the bushes that she rubbed against.

At least you had an exit hole. And she did not run far. That means she was hit good and hard. You are going to have some great eating if you ever get off work long enough to cook some up... Deer Salami is my favorite. I make a lot of that since I have my own smoke house.

Were you satisfied with the performance of the 295 grain Powerbelts? I shoot the 245 grain Aero Tip but have yet found a deer willing to let me run some ballistic tests on them...
Old 12-24-2005, 10:32 AM

Congrats on your doe!!!! I got one on the last day of our muzzleloading season here in West Virginia. She was big and had alot of fat on her too. She had been eating well. Looks like you got a CVA Kodiak in the nickle and camo. Must be in .45 by the bullet weight you mentioned. I just ordered one in nickle with a black stock from Cabelas for 149.00 plus shipping. I wanted the camo but they sold out. I will see if CVA will trade me stocks even or for some difference once I get it in. They have very good service. Cant wait till next year to try it out on some game, just targets till then. They also have the metal sights on sale for the Kodiak for 10.00 plus 3.95 shipping. Give CVA a call. I ordered some for my Firebolt and my Kodiak to replace the polymer ones.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:00 PM

cayugad , i was very happy with the 295,s, just like you said they did there job, i hear you on the work thing iam here know cristmas eve , who knows what time ill be hear to[:@]one week left of hunting hoppfully mr. big buck will come.

american pioneer , know its a 50cal. congrats on your doe thats my only complant on the cva the cheap sight lost one of the plastic ones , last year and just put a scope on instead cause it would have takin a week for the replacement to come in. scope one hour to put on and sight in