Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope problems with Encore 209

Old 10-14-2002, 10:24 AM

Default Scope problems with Encore 209

Hi all,
I've mounted a Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5X scope on my Encore 209 in 50 cal. The unit is a shooter. Without even trying for maximum accuracty (I was lying in the dirt using some towels as a rest) I was shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I was using 220 gr precision bullet "dead centers" and varying charges of T7. I shot about 10 different 3 shot groups and my worst group was about 3 inches and my best was about 1.5 inches. That's the good news.
Now the bad news/question. The hammer on the Encore is semi-obstructed by the scope. I can cock the hammer with bare hands, but it's not very accesable and would be very difficult to cock if I had heavy gloves on. It also takes some attention to make sure that my thumb goes in just the right place. That's attention that I'll want to use on an animal, not the gun. Is there a fix for this? I was thinking of a hammer that has some sort of side piece on it that would be more accesable with the scope mounted. Does anyone know of anything like this? How do you other Encore owners deal with this?

Bill the Dog
Old 10-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope problems with Encore 209

The best cure is probably to use higher rings but Mike Bellm and Virgin Valley both sell hammer extensions for your rifle. I have the Bellm variant and it stays in place. If your clearance is very close though, adding the hammer extension can result in physical contact with the scope during firing.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?category_id=11

http://www.virginvalleyguns.com/accessories.cfm#he
Old 11-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I ordered a hammer extension from Mike Bellm and got it today. It is great!!!! Thanks Underclocked, that's what this board is all about. Jim

Old 11-11-2002, 08:27 AM
ck
Fork Horn

Took mine to the gun shop. They heated it and bent it a little. Works fine now.