Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Magnum Muzzleloading Charges and Brands

Old 12-22-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Magnum Muzzleloading Charges and Brands

I did some calling to several companies and researched some MAGNUM MUZZLELOADERS and what powder charges they can use.

CVA- 150 gr. of Pyrodex pellets and 100 gr. of FFg max. THEY WOULD NOT recommend FFFg!!!! Said if it was used to back off to about 70-80 gr.

Traditions- 150 gr. of Pyrodex pellets and up to 150 gr. FFg max. Said I could even use FFFg. I myself wouldnt use 150 grains of FFFg, maybe up to 120gr. He wasnt to clear on FFFg.

Knight- 150 gr. of Pyrodex pellets and up to 150 gr. FFg. Said I could use FFFg but back off to about 120 gr.

MDM- 150 gr. of Pyrodex pellets and up to 150 gr. FFg. Said I could use FFFg. Wasnt real clear on max for FFFg. I wouldnt use over 120 grs.

I have just listed a few of the loads that were given to me by technicians working at these companies. There are manuals you can download and look at for yourself before you decide what muzzleloader may be best for you or what loads you should use in a brand I may have listed. I have listed these loads here just to give a person a general idea of what they can expect from a particular rifle and brand. In no way should anyone go by this as a way to charge their rifles. Bullet weight and type used can play a big part in pressures, just like in smokeless powder loading. Always refer to the manuals that come with your rifle and you wont go wrong. Sorry I didnt get to Thompson Center or NEF yet guys!!!! Dont stone me!!! LOL!!!