Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What CONICAL doese the most damage?

Old 12-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What CONICAL doese the most damage?

What are some of the bestCONICALS that do alot of damage?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What CONICAL doese the most damage?

conicals can vary according to the animal you're hunting and what you want the conical to do. If you choose a conical with a hollow point, you may not get as good of penetration but the conical stands a better chance of expanding in the body cavity of the animal. So if you were elk hunting this might not be the best choice since penetration is what you're after. Yet with a thin skinned deer this will cause some extreme damage to them.

maxiball, R.E.A.L. conicals some ball-ets are non hollow tip and do penetrate very well.

maxi hunter, great plains, buffalo bullet conicals, and some ball-ets are hollow point and will expand a little better.

Then you get conicals like the No Excuse Conicals, Colorado Conicals, PA conicals, CVA Deerslayer, and others. you really need to think of what you want to hunt and then plan the conical around that if conicals is what you want to use.

Of course there is also the Powerbelt and Sabre Tooth conicals out there.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

For antelope the hollow point ballet or maxihunter would be the best out of my 54. For elk a round nose ballet or maxiball would be the best. Right? Now what about roundballs here? What if we tossed those in?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

The round ball will work on about anything you want to shoot. All you have to do is get close enough and put that in the right place. Round ball are very underestimated projectiles. A lot of animals have died from a round ball placed in the right spot.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hit a 125# doe last night with a 460gr No Excuse conical - 80gr 3fT7.
110 yds, slight quarteting away. Entered rear of ribcage and she dropped. Left knife in truck so field dressing was done by headlight. No passthru and too dark to look for the bullet, but the liver was jelled.

5th deer I took this year with this combo- 3 dropped like above. 2 I hit leg/low chest - blew thru leg bone and hurt bad enough so they bedded in 5o yds and let me walk up to them.

Might say I'm a believer in big conicals

Steve

Old 12-22-2005, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter
What are some of the bestCONICALS that do alot of damage?
The Maxi-Hunter is pretty destructive, as is the R.E.A.L. from Lee. Both have a pretty flat nose. In addition, the .58 Minie Ball designed for African use by Val Forgett would have to qualify. It is a complete wadcutter and weighs 600 grains. Driven by 160 to 180 grains of powder, it will take elephant, rhino and Cape Buffalo......

This Minie (Lyman .57730) weighs 570 grains, and I shoot it with 120 grains of powder for North American game. Note it has a pretty big flat up front, although not a full wad cutter.

57730 flanked by two .45/70 rounds......

Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 AM

I use the NO Excuses brand 535 grain in .54 caliber with 100 grains AAP in my Firehawk. They are pure lead and prelubed with something blue that smells like borebutter. I hit a doe in the back one year and a cannon ball couldnt have done much better. The hole was enormous. Needless to say she didnt move. Being a spine shot may have helped a bit. They load easy and are accurate. They have a money back guarantee on accuracy. Good Luck!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wont that 535gr No Excuses drop really fast? Do you think that would be good on elk?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Wont that 535gr No Excuses drop really fast? Do you think that would be good on elk?

If I were hunting elk with a .54 caliber and the No Excuse shot well, that is what my rifle would be loaded with. You put that much lead in the vital organs and something will not be moving very far from that point..
Old 12-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

But wont they drop fast?

Quick Reply: What CONICAL doese the most damage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.