Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What CONICAL doese the most damage?

Old 01-06-2006, 08:48 PM

Default RE: What CONICAL doese the most damage?

When I shoot a conical I always shoot the biggest my rifle will shoot accurately. I dont have to worry about penetration. With so much weight it will work on just about any game. A 535 grain No Excuses in my opinion would be fine. They are great bullets.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

What are some of the bestCONICALS that do alot of damage?
Hard to argue with this one in 450 grains. Nothing Walks Away From A Keith Nose.

http://www.prbullet.com/ulk.htm

The 45/50 sabot/bullet is now onblow-out sale until Jamuary 9th.

http://www.prbullet.com/xmas05.htm
Old 01-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Over the last two years, I have killed 2 deer with my .50 T/C hawken using the 460 gr. No Excuses conicle. One deer was shot at about 15 yards, and the other one was shot at about 35 yards. At that range, I don't think penetration is really an issue with that big bullet. They probably went through each deer about like they would a piece of plywood. Both deer died inside of 50 yards.

They do have a sharper ballistic arc than a lighter bullet, but they carry the energy far downrange. If I ever get to make a Colorado elk hunt, I think these would work perfect. One of these days....

Tomorrow starts a week of muzzleloading. I am going to try to kill my first deer with a round ballusing my Green Mountain barrel.

C. Davis
Old 01-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

SteveBNy said:

"Hit a 125# doe last night with a 460gr No Excuse conical - 80gr 3fT7.
110 yds, slight quarteting away. . . . "

Thank you Steve. I thank Steve because he has illustrated just how simple taking game can be _IF_ one follows some simple rules.

Choose a conical heavy enough to wring some energy from your powder charge and one heavy enough (sufficient BC) to retain energy on target at the range desired.

Steve's load isn't a "magnum" load and his bullet isn't going terribly fast either. Probably a velocity on the order of1450 to1500 fps. But lets look at the ballistics.

Assuming 1450 fps at muzzle, a B.C. of .260 (great plains 460 gr.).

Muzzle energy is 2147 ft-lbs .

Energy at the Doe (110 yds)1601 ft-lbs.

Thats as much energy as factory 30-30 150 gr has at the muzzle (2200fps, 1610ft-lbs). So Steve's Muzzleloader , with the load he has chosen, is more than 50% better than a 30-30 for taking that doe.

One really doesn't need to improve upon the pinnacle the art of blackpowder finally achieved in the buffalo cartridge rifle. These rifles featured cartridges with moderate BP charges and VERY heavy conicals. The buffalo were very nearly exterminated by these loads. And yes people killed buffalo at greater than 200 yards with theseloads and the same can be done with one's muzzleloader, IF, he becomes aproficient marksman with it. The heavy conical has quite a curve in its trajectory.

Back to Steve's load.

Sight this load dead on at 14 yards (assuming 1450 fps) and one should be a quarter inch high at 110 yards.

Want to go farther?

With a scope, click once for each 2.5 yards you wish to extend the zero.
16 clicks takes you to 150 yards with a velocity of 1191 fps and energy of 1449 ft-lbs .

If I may, I would like to comment the roundball. As cayugad commented, the roundball has taken alot of animals BUT as cayugad also commented "One must get CLOSE ENOUGH and hit the RIGHT PLACE"This is also true of Steve's load. But the roundball is VASTLY inferior to the 460 grain conical. With the same charge, the roundball at 70 yards has half the energy of the 460 grain conical at 150 yards. The round ballis barely sufficient to take deer-sized game at 70 yards while the 460 grain conical has nearly twice the energy needed at 150 yards.

My advice, "Know your rifle and your load". Be willing to be disciplined enough to pull the trigger only when your shot is delivering at range the energy necessary for a humane kill.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are the No Excuses bullets for the 54cal round nose or hollow point?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sharpshooter asked:

Are the No Excuses bullets for the 54cal round nose or hollow point?

Flat point I think, I have never used them. I have been using the great plains conical which is flat nosed. Buffalo Bullets also make some great conicals, too. I buy .50 cal. 460's in 20 packs for $6.00.

To stabilize the bullet in a 1:48 twist.54 cal barrel, the Bullet should be less than .900 inches long(around 7/8"). The 535 grain bullet should be that length or less.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 01-07-2006, 05:13 PM

I, too, am a big fan of the Great Plains conical. The 410 gr. .50 caliber has worked well for me on large game ahead of a MMP Ballistic Bridge sub-base. From what I have seen of faster expanding conicals, the lighter Powerbelts probably do the most damage. Especially when they explode on large bone.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Excuses site: http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/index.html

flat nose in all sizes

Phil - I stumbled acroos a winning combination by taking others suggestions on what worked for them in their Whites. This summer, I plan to tweak some, but find it hard to believe it could get much better. Always fun trying though

Steve
Old 01-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most damage I've witnessed from a conical was done by a 400 grain .50 caliber PRBullet Ultimate 1 spitzer hollowpoint from my 700ML. Massive wound and the exit was more like an explosion had taken place. Too MUCH damage, IMO. Stick to pure lead flat points and you'll get plenty of wound channel.