Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

serious pitting

Old 12-21-2005, 03:29 PM

Default serious pitting

i have a CVA staghorn that my cousin gave to me to clean up and after getting the breech plug out and looking down the barrel i can see some pretty serious pitting. i usually use Powder Blast and a bore brush and that works pretty good, but there is still some rust in those pits. i was wondering if anyone knew of any kind of solvent that would get those pits out. i have it dried out now with a coat of bore butter. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
James
Old 12-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: serious pitting

First thing I would do is get the bore butter out of the barrel. Now you have to clean that mess out of there before you can get back to work on the rust and pitting.

Get someButch's Bore Shine, Birchwood Casey Sheathand J-B Bore Paste. Between those three you should be able to get the rust out of the barrel. Take the J-B Bore paste and a small piece of Scotch Brite Scouring Pad ona patch worm or cleaning jag. Put a small amount of the paste on the Scotch Brite and scrub that barrel real good with that. It will take the rust out of the pits, and also shine and smooth out any of the ruff spots. After you have done that, take some patches with soap and water on them and wash the J-B Bore Paste out of the barrel. Now with a cleaning jag, and some tight fitting patches, soak the patch with the Butch's Bore Shine and scrub that barrel. The Butch's will actually foam up and lift all the crud out of the pits. After that run dry patches through the barrel until they come out clean and dry. Now put some BIRCHWOOD CASEY SHEATH ona patch good and heavy and work that through the barrel real good. Many people need to understand, when you take a barrel back to bare metal you have to then protect the metal. Sheath will soak into the metal and the pits and then coat the barrel with a protective film that will keep it from rusting further.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: serious pitting

Trick from my mauser days (Ok so I still mess with them too) take a bore brush wrap a patch on it,cover it withcomet sometimes it does wonders. It's always worth a try