Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NEW MUZZLELOADER

Since money is not the object and you are looking for quality and customer satisfaction I would recommend the Thompson Center Omega. Whether you like Stainless Steel, thumbhole stock, all of that will effect the price, but a better quality rifle you would be hard pressed to find.

Other rifle makers you could look at is theKnight Revolution. Both are great rifles. I personally would get a Stainless Steel Thompson Center Omega with a thumb hole stock if money was not the problem.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Hello,
As you said money is not a problem you might also consider the Thompson Center Encore($480.00-800). Along with being angreat blackpowder rifle (read the posts about this rifle) with excellant accuracy it offers the ability to buy 86 different caliber barrels for the one rifle. With the quality put into this rifle a new barrel of any caliber can be purchased for usually around $260.00 and you would be hard pressed to find a gun of it's quality for that kind of money in another caliber. Depending on how many guns you currently have and want to expand out to this might be something you should consider.Just my opinion. Good luck with what ever you end up with, However I should mention that alot of deer are taken with lesser rifles every day, it's more about good hunting pratices than it is about how much the thing cost.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

Forgot to mention Thompson Centercarries a lifetime warranty and they really stand behind there products no matter what they sell. I've only had dealings with T/C so they are the only company I can speak for. I've also heard good things about knight as well.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Ditto On the TC Omega!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

T/C Omega, hands down. They run the gamet of prices from $299.00 to over $500.00 (I have the least expensive Z-5 which comes in only one color - black) but the quality in each model is top notch.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

One thing to keep in mind is if the person this is for is more of a traditional rifle person, do not over look the T/C Hawkins Big Bore Rifles. http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/section.cfm?section=16 Foxridge outfitters sells them. I would suggest for someone starting out, a T/C Hawkins in .58 caliber in a percussion cap model only because the flintlock takes a great deal of time and patience to figure out all the little quirks. Not that it can not be done, because it can. This .58 caliber Big Bore would limit the over all range of the the shooter since people seldom mount a scope on such a fine rifle, but they are more then able to take a deer out to 100 yards or spend the day on the target range punching larger holes in paper then a man should be able to enjoy.

With the selection of this caliber, even shooting a simple roundball, there is nothing safe in North America from a good shot.

They are also a beautiful rifle to display somewhere in the home.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

T/C Omega (more affordable) or the T/C Encore 209X50 (more flexible)
Old 12-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

I just did a quick check of WV rules and apparently smokeless powder is legal in the muzzleloader which makes the Savage muzzleloader another top choice and also allows the use of smokeless powder which make the hunting situation less complex as cleanup with smokeless is much easier and the Savage is noted for excellent accuracy and also long distance accuracy. I do not own a Savage as Arizona does not allow smokeless (RW claims that smokeless is allowed in Arizona but I think he is wrong). If it were legal I think I might just buy a Savage. I have a stainless Omega which I also think is just great.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

A-Bolt,
I purchased the Thompson Center Omega based on the recommendations of the knowledgable people here. I couldn't be happier. It's a great gun

BTW. It's on sale today at wallyworld for $249 (Z5 model)

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.