Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

thumbhole stock or no hole??

Old 12-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: thumbhole stock or no hole??

Just curious as to how you feel they aren't too practical. I have no problems with mine.

As for an "advantage".....if it fits the shooter and makes him/her more comfortable than a (for lack of a better word) traditional stock, then it does give you an advantage.

Besides, the thumbhole provides the perfect place to tie your hoist rope to pull it up to your treestand!!! Sounds practical enough.

ORIGINAL: statjunk

"they aren't really practical and offer very little advantage."

Tom
Old 12-27-2005, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It can't be shot with the other hand because of the contour of the hand grip. It is heavier and bulkier. I also think that from a structural perspective it has to be a weaker design. I mean that lets say you fall on your gun or drop it etc... I would think it would be more likely to crack or fail than a traditional style stock.

However, to each his own!

Tom
Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot it left-handed.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling the trigger on my ML left handed given that I can't get a good grip on that beast. Like I said to each his own.

Tom
Old 12-27-2005, 11:33 AM

If your right handed I wouldn't try shooting anthing left handed without trying it at the range first. I've shot my bow left handed before and at 20 yds get a 2" impact difference. That's ok for a bow. If that were a rifle, I'd hate to see the difference at 100 or 150 yds. To me the ability to shoot left handed is a non-issue. That would be a desperation shot and we owe the deer a little more respect than that.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:02 PM

I got an Omega with thumbhole stock earlier this year, and liked the way it pointed and shouldered. There was, however, an issue with cocking the hammer over the top of the thumbhole. Fairly awkward. Traded itfor a regular stock version.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:05 PM
bigcountry

I take way too many left handed shots in thick cover while in a stand to ever have a thumbhole gun. They feel good but doesn't suit my hunting.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like BC said. Whenever I have tried to shoot left handed the deer was most likely within 25 yards of me just on the wrong side of the tree. I would never attempt a left handed shot longer than about 40 yards. I would definelty not try it with a thumbhole stock.

Tom
Old 12-27-2005, 05:20 PM

i don't have any m/l's with a thumbhole, but i do have a couple of center fires mounted to boyds thumbhole stocks. they are great for target shooting but very uncomfortable to carry in the field.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

OK boys check this out, I am a lefty and could never shoot the T/C's thumbhole stocks because they are carved to fit a right handed person period!! I checked a few out just to make sure I wasn't handling some type of custom rifle and all were carved the same. T/C doesn't offer a left handed one either.

Now here is the fun part of this post. All you Encore owners with the standard stock pick it up and shoulder it. Yup you have an ambidexterous thumbhole stock with the top 1/3 of the hole missing.

Interesting huh?

Quick Reply: thumbhole stock or no hole??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.