Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Navy Arms 12 Ga. ?

Old 12-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Navy Arms 12 Ga. ?

Icame across a used Navy Arms 12 Ga. double percussion choked full and full. The guy wants $500. The gun is in very good shape, no pitting or rust to be found. It looks like it was rarely used and well cared for. I don't have any idea if this is a good price. Is it worth it? I will use it for turkey, coyote, hogs, and perhaps deer. Not only is it worth it, is it the right gun for the job?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:06 PM

Default RE: Navy Arms 12 Ga. ?

ORIGINAL: txrookie

Icame across a used Navy Arms 12 Ga. double percussion choked full and full. The guy wants $500. The gun is in very good shape, no pitting or rust to be found. It looks like it was rarely used and well cared for. I don't have any idea if this is a good price. Is it worth it? I will use it for turkey, coyote, hogs, and perhaps deer. Not only is it worth it, is it the right gun for the job?
I have a Navy Arms SxS .12ga muzzleloader with cylinder bores.
I paid $450 for mine slightly used,didn't want to, but bought it anyway.
$500 is a lot, but I don't know how bad you want it.

I will tell you whatI've had people sayabout muzzleloading shotguns withchokes in them...particularly full chokes...they saywads can get so compressed when being forced in through the chokes that they don't expand back out fully and seal the bore properly down on the powder charge...don't know if that's true butit may be why he's selling it, dunno that either.

People who buy more recently madeSXS ML'sthat haveremoveable chokes in themsay theyunscrew the chokes to load the wads, then screw the chokes back in.

The original designed Navy ArmsSxS ML's with cylinder bores just load the wads right down in no sweat...I've completely transitioned away from caplocks toFlintlock rifles and smoothboresand never use my Navy Arms percussion SxSany more...if you want mine for $395, send me a PM...I've only used it for doves a couple times and it did fine...bores are perfect...I can take some photos during the week and Email them to you, etc.