Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When should I load.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default When should I load.

Question. Should I load my inline with two 777 pellets and sabot before taking it out of the house and into the cold woods, or should I let the barrell get cold first and then load it?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: When should I load.

neck4752

I can not tell you when, but I can tell you when I load. In Idaho I can travel with the ML charged - but not capped -> so I do load at home. Reason, when I get to the hunting site - I do not even cloase the doors on the pick hard - so I am certainly not going to stand there and pop a couple caps then load.

I touch my caps off in the garage (non-heated), load the in the garage and leave everything in the garage until the next morning, the gun the gunpowder box. If the weather is lousy I will not put the muzzle mit on the barrel until the gun comes out for hunting. In the morning I load everything in the pickup. I do not allow the cab temp to get warm depending on the outside temp.

Condensation occurs when there is a rapid and dramatic temperature change especially when going from cold to hot - the effect from warm to cold is not as dramatic as the opposit.

Coming in from the hunt the gun goes back in the truck and the cab is heated slowly to a cool temp - heck you are dressed for cool weather anyway so it does not take much heat to be comfortable.

Again check your state rules what is allowed and what is not...
Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

I leave my ML in my locked truck stored in a heavy case. I load it either outside at home or when I arrive at the hunting site, depending on how close to the actual stand my truck will be parked. I have a cab on the back of the P/U and it travels there. I never bring the gun inside before a hunt or if there is a load in it.

Get a heavy-duty carrying case - it will insulate the gun somewhat and minimize the temp changes.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Since I generally hunt my own property, I load right in my house, other then cap it of course and from there head into the woods. I have done this for years and never had a problem other then waking people up at 5:30 in the morning, popping caps in the wood room, and I never saw that as a problem.

When I used to hunt far from home, I put the gun in a case and made sure that the cased weapon was not in a heated part of the vehicle. From there I would drive to where I wanted to hunt. Park the car, pop caps and load, and then walk in from there.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

I Ditto cayugad with my old Renegade and fffg goex powder I to load at home and hunt at home. Ditto also on the far from home home situation. However I'm going to give this Jim Shockeys gold powder a try in my Encore and I've heard this subsitute maybe a little more moisture sensitive. I haven't got a good feelfor this powder yet so I'm always open to ideas. Anyone have any?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I charge mine at home, never had a problem.