Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bergara muzzleloading barrel on Optima Elite?

Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Bergara muzzleloading barrel on Optima Elite?

In the market for either a TC Encore or a Optima elite in 50 cal. for myself,and in order to change barrels for my wife and son. I read on the cva website that the Elite uses Bergara barrels for this line of Optima. What, if any, benefit is this barrel over the standard barrels from cva? I have never heard of Bergara barrels.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bergara muzzleloading barrel on Optima Elite?

Other than being a "Made in Spain" barrel, I've never heard of Bergara.

http://www.euskoop.org/empresasi/coop.asp?a=425
http://www.mcc.coop/esp/empresas/empresa.asp?id=239

I would offer that CVA is simply "Marketing" their barrel and arm manufacturer by Brand "Beraga" to offer additional credibility for sales purposes.

I don't think that Beraga and Thompson/Center are in the same galaxy quality-wise.

IMHO

Best,

Tahquamenon
Old 12-13-2005, 07:12 PM

I watched an episode of Black Powder Guns and Hunting on the outdoor life network. Oneil Williams and Chad Scherrer went to the CVA plant and showed the process in which the barrels are made. The blanks are computer straightened first followed by drilling them to diameter. They are then buttoned rifled and certain barrels for certain models are put on a mechanical lapping machine. Cva told me these will be used on the new one with the centerfire rifle barrel and muzzleloader system(Optima Elite) that will compete with the Encore. The rep also told me that all the barrels on CVA rifles are made by Bergara. During the tour of the plant though, they said the lapped barrels were used on the Optima Pro. Who knows!!! I was really impressed by the processes they use. The plant is high tech with robotic arms doing the welding and fine measurements. I know the CVA rifles seem to shoot the powerbelt bullets very well and are recommended. The Winchester Apex and the CVA Kodiaks are the same but with different refinements. Correct me if Im wrong. I have a CVA Firebolt magnum .45 cal. I got it from the bargain cave at Cabelas for 119.00. That is with 10.00 coupon. It is the one made for Cabelas with the woodtech synthetic stock. It looks like walnut with a nice grain to it. Havent shot it yet but the quality looks fine to me. I currently use a Thompson Center Renegade kit .50 cal, MDM quicshooter .50 cal, and a Thompson center Firehawk stainless in .54 cal. Those guys from the show on the outdoor life network really love those CVAs. Ive seen them kill animals at 215 yards with .45 cal rifles and powerbelt bullets. They have used the optima pros, kodiak magnums, Firebolts, and the winchester apex. Well thats all I got to say about that.(Forest Gump)
Old 12-19-2005, 08:27 AM

I found out the other day that the barrels are made in Bergara, Spain. This came straight from the people at CVA.