Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Velocity- T7 Vs. Jim Shockeys Gold (APP)

Old 12-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Velocity- T7 Vs. Jim Shockeys Gold (APP)

All, Does anyone know what the Velocity differences are between T7pellets and Jim Shockeys Gold (APP) powder or where I might look these up.
I'm shooting an encore with 100 grains of T7 pellets, Barnes 245 grain spitfire'snowbut I want to switch to Jim Shockeys GoldLoosebut But I'm wondering how much velocity I'm going to lose.Sighted in at100yrds at 150 I'm droping 2.5 to 3", I like that alot. I thought I read somewhere that APP claimed about 50fps seconds fasterwith Jim Shockeys Gold vs. the normal American pioneer powder, however I'm not sure where I read/heard that. I'm wanting to go back to loose because of the dreaded crud ring and accuracy concerns. Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Velocity- T7 Vs. Jim Shockeys Gold (APP)

Ah, ha! Found some data on each companys respective websites. And it looks like Jims gold is about 50fps faster compared to the standard APP powder. And it looks like Jim's gold is also about 50fps faster(FFg) than T7 pellets when in loose form. I couldn't find any data on Jim's gold FFFg or what the results are for Jim's gold sticks in FFFg. There was a difference in projectile weight of 10 grains though. Very, Very interesting data however.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

keep us posted as to how well the powder shoots and acts. It's always good to get first hand field knowledge about a product.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:03 PM

Shockey's isslower burning but in longer barreled guns provide higher velocities. I saw this on Goex website.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be going to the T/C Encore in the 209X50 caliber myself for next years deer season. Here's the web-site for American powder.

http://www.americanpioneerpowder.com/
Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

maytom,

I did some testing between the Shockey's Gold powder(3f) and Triple Seven this week in my T/C Omega. I'm pleased with the Shockey's Gold powder as it seemed to be a little cleaner than 777 and grouped well in my rifle. I did not have a chrono with me as I would have liked to compare the velocities of the two. One thing I will recommend to you if you are considering Shockey's Gold, is to getit in 3f. I shoot 2f Triple Seven and it is quite a bit finer than the 3f Shockey's Gold, so 2f Shockey's Gold would more than likely be extremely course. In fact I have heard it described as "rock salt."
Old 12-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Save the $1.00 and buy regular APP FFF. Your target paper will not show 50 fps differences at 50 yards & beyond. Most likely, that $1 difference in price is Shockey's endorsement fee. No... the two products are not different - just the dye color of the granules & one more slightly finer filtering process that becomes irrelevant when shipped to distant places under bumpy, rocky conditions that produce more granule-flaking/powdering.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:18 AM
Typical Buck

I found that APP powder in fffg will shoot equal or slightly faster than 777 ffg or pellets in my stainless Omega. The longer barrel shoots the slower ascorbic acid powders like APP or Black Mag'3 better than the faster powder like 777. I also found the felt recoil of the 777 to be sharper and more uncomfortable than the slower powders for the same velocity of 300gr. bullets in sabots. I have had comments that the shorter barrels like the 777 better but I don't have any short barrel rifles to prove that.