Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What have you done foolish?

Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What have you done foolish?

I am only 13 and am just starting balck powder. Ask again in a few years! I have yet to do that stuff. What happens when you shoot out your ram rod?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Dominant Buck

You will have to make sure you never find that out pse-archer. I am determined never to be able to tell you what it feels like.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have one worth noting. When I was new to muzzle loading (earlier this year, but who's counting) I didn't know about breech bolt grease. Long story shot, 50 shots with 150gr of 777 locked that baby up. I had to send my rifle back to knight. I also got my ramrod stuck down the barrel during this and couldn't pull the breech bold out to get the ram rod. So knight recieved my rifle with stuck breech bolt and broken ramrod that was stuck in the barrel. The fixed it and even replaced my ramrod for free.

Worse shot, doe at 70 yards broadside. Forgot to dress the barrel.

Best shot, button buck at 55-60 yards shot right through the back of the neck just below the head. Bullet exited right along the lower jaw. The deer just stood there for a second and fell over like it had been blown over by the breeze.

Tom
Old 12-14-2005, 07:18 AM

Way back when in my Army days we used to keep some pogey bait in the breech of the cannon on the tank to keep it out of the way yet readily available. One day we forgot to clear the breech before firing and sent a salami, loaf of Wonder bread and a sleeve of Ritz crackers downrange. It smelled like we were cooking inside the turret for the next two days.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: pse-archer

I am only 13 and am just starting balck powder. Ask again in a few years! I have yet to do that stuff. What happens when you shoot out your ram rod?
Depends...

On my two famous ramrod shots. I was not aware that I had actually shot the ramrod until I noticed it not in the thimbles.

Both times were at the range and thankfully I was alone with my embarassment. One rod I found the other I did not.

[]
Old 12-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Tahq.. you need to carry some feathers and a broad head. Then when you get the urge again at least it might make it a little more aerodynamic. I am surprised that you said you never knew it until you noticed the thimbles were empty. I watched a friend of mine do that once and the recoil about killed him. Just goes to show, different rifles, different loads. Plus he's lucky to weigh 130 pounds on a wet day.

I will take the liberty of telling a few of these tales to friends of mine I shoot with. The names will be changed to protect the innocent... some of these are a riot.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 PM

ingoldx1 did you take that tree home and have it mounted?

Cayugad - I have that tree branch in my hunting box. I had to use my saw to cut it down to a manageable size, the branch was about 14ft long.According to my hunting buddies I have the biggest one of the group. I will most likely mount it on the wall.
I unfortunatly have more stories.
[ul][*]I was hunting with a 12gaand a 44 mag when I was tired of walking the brush,I sat down and layed the 44 across my lap and then placed the 12ga across the top. I lowered my head down and was looking at my 12ga when I heard a noise. I looked up and a 6-8pt buck was standing right in front of me. We stared at each other for some time and I found that I could not get the 44 from under the 12ga. I slid the 12 ga around and tried a hip shot and completely missed and would up hitting the tree right next to the deer. The deer almost ran over me![*]A few years ago I was bow hunting for the first time since I was 13 and I saw some massive bucks too far off on opening day. I moved my stand for the next day and wound up seeing two bucks at the tree I was in the day before. I waited and they came right my way. I ended up at full draw for the longest time as the two deer kept walking to me. I shot atone deer with the other walking a few feet off next to it while looking down the arrow becuase I could not hold the bowup correctly anymore. The deer was three feet from my feet,I was only a couple feetin the airin my treestand (That's because of the tree leaves early in the season). I ended up shooting thru the top of the deer and it ran off.I could not find my arrow though. I ended up finding it later, but it had brown hair all over it - not the white it should have had. In the end my cousin and I found the second deer floating in the creek just down from my stand the next day. It had an upward shot thru the right side that went thru the top. It had white hair on the entrance in an area of brown hair. Both of them were 7pts. The first one hit was a nice wide rack and the other was a tall narrow rack. Not the plan, but I have them both.[/ul]
So many stories - so little time.
Ingoldx1

Old 12-16-2005, 07:29 AM

I've never double charged.
I have double balled, but realized it before firing (C02 solved the problem).
I have dry loaded (C02 solved the problem).
Never shot the ramrod.

Easiest shot missed: First shot ever at a deer, 7 point buck, 7 yards off bottom of tree stand (I was ~20' up). Buck fever=shot over back

Hardest shot attempted: First deer actually taken with it (and only up to this point). An old spike (10" cowhorns, 3 1/2 year old)...head was behind holly tree, shoulder showing, rest of deer behind holly tree, about 40 yards away. Put it through the front of the shoulder and dropped it on the spot.

I took a harder shot for my first bow kill this year on a doe, as this time I only had abouta fist sized hole to shoot through and all I could see was the crease behind the shoulder. Turned out better than I could even have hoped for, as she only made it about 60 yards before piling up.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I can come up with is I was pulling up my Encore to my stand with my hoist rope and noticed that when I got it up to me that the rope had got around the hammer spur and pulled the hammer back to the cocked position.

It was unprimed, of course, and I had tied it so the barrel was pointing down.

Had I forgot to take the 209 primer out and tied it up the wrong way. I would have been pulling up a loaded, primed, cocked gun that was pointing at me in the dark.

In thinking about it all that day. I decided that I must have laid the gun on top of the pull-up rope. Since then, I make sure the rope is clear of the gun before climbing my treestand.