Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Savage Muzzleloader

Old 12-11-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Savage Muzzleloader

Can you use smokeless powder with these muzzleloader, It says you can on their website??? Here is the link.

http://www.savagearms.com/muzzleloader_home.htm
Old 12-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Spike

Default RE: Savage Muzzleloader

Yes you can, and one of the few ML's that do. I just bought my first ML late last year. Did a lot of research and ask a lot questions from the folks here. The Savage 10ML-II was one of 3 on my list but I choose to buy a Thompson Center Encore simply because it doesn't use smokeless powder. Making some smoke is what its all about IMO. I have a regular center-fire rifle if I choose to go smokeless!
Old 12-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hearing alot about these, but also heard they are a little expensive. theres another smokeless muzzleloader company that costs about $3,000.... I heard that smokeless muzzleloaders can shoot out to 400 yards with ease... but I ma not sure... dont realy care for them much..
Old 12-12-2005, 02:39 PM

Would this be a versitale muzzloader to use for deer in Ohio???
I want to get a high power but this mightbe an alternative for my area.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not a Savage owner but I can not knock them, they are a great muzzleloader. As for shooting 400 yards, well I would not believe that.Anyone can shoot their muzzleloades that far, but few are practiced enough to say theycan make that shot every time. 200 yards for many of the inlines, and a little further, is not out of the question, but you do have to practice.

What people fail to consider about muzzleloaders is even though you can get some good ballistics out of them, the projectiles fly much different then most high power center fires.

A Savage is a smokeless muzzleloader. They are excellent quality. They are well made and not all that bad in price. If you wish to learn more about Savage muzzleloader come to this site http://modernmuzzleloader.comand ask all the questions you want. There are some that could even help set you up with one I would guess. I have no need for a Savage but that does not mean I would not enjoy one.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:48 PM

Can you use smokeless powder in them? SURE that is why they are called "smokeless muzzleloaders". I am on my second season with my ML 10 II and wouldn't have it anyother way. I had a fit with it this summer but it was my fault. I had it loaded WAY to hot (48grns ofN110, no sub-baseswith 300SSTs atop it all)and in the summer heat it was blowing sabots before they left the barrel. Surprisingly that load shot fine last fall when I bought the gun and hunted with it. But I never shot it in temps above 60 degrees until this year.

I backed the charge down (42.7grns) and dropped down too the 250SSTs and she is once again layin em in there nice and tight. Sighted 3" high at 100yds the SST strikes only 3" low @ 200yds and 18" low @ 300yds. YES it will kill like a bolt from the blue at that range, if you know how to make the bullet hit there. I FULLY recommend a mil-dot setup on these guns.

I have alot of customers who hunt shotgun only states and I ask them why they don't take magnum muzzleloaders instead of hopped up bird guns with them? Most of them aren't willing to give up a quick second shot but some of them (who obviously have confidence in their own shooting abilities) now take muzzleloaders with them and leave the dove guns at home. As for me, if I ever go to Iowa, Ohio, Illinois ect you can bet my Savage will be going with me instead of ANY of my shotguns. I understand several of those states don't allow the Savage (some not even ANY 209 gun) during their actual muzzleloader seasons but as far as I know all of them allow MLs during their shotgun seasons.

Another neat feature is you don't have to clean the guns that often. The only residue you get is plastic fouling from the Sabot (which you get in ANY ML shooting sabots). A quick shot or two of brake cleaner, a brass brush and some clean patches and you are DONE! No more stinky, greasy mess and you can leave the dishwater for your wife to use after supper!

I wouldn't dare go back too a BP gun as long as the Savage is an option,
RA
Old 12-19-2005, 07:27 AM

I too have the Savage and love it. I shoot IMR4227 powder. 47 gr with a hornaday 45 sabot. You do have to buy the black Sabot for the higher velocity. Mine is a tack driver at 100 yds. Two great things about the gun is it is highly accurate & you don't have to clean,clean,clean when you've shot it. I personally highly recommend this gun.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've a question for the Savage Users? Why isn't the Savage recommended for use with slower burning powders like Varget? The lower pressures and use of heavier projectiles (though at the expense of more powder) seem a better use of the the big bore of the 10 ML. Are these slower powders unsafe for use in a Savage? If so, why?

Thanks, Phil
Old 01-02-2006, 08:41 PM

i just started looking at these smokless muzzle loaders but i'm not sure that's the way to go. Isn't half the fun of shooting a muzzle loader the smell of the black powder and the huge cloud of white smoke when that gun goes off. for me there is absolutly nothing better then that cloud and the smell and that's why i'm not going smokeless.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, there is nothing like it when BP goes off.

Quick Reply: Savage Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.