Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is the Omega a piece of junk?

Old 12-11-2005, 12:04 PM

Default RE: Is the Omega a piece of junk?

Thev defintiely were going fast in KY,

I acyaully had to buy the one that they had on display, was the last one they had,

Old 12-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I read a post here a month or so a go went to wally world and sure enough they were on sale got omega for 160 now if I could just find the right load. Lee
Old 12-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Spike

You're onevery lucky guy. I am curious about one thing, have you been able to compare the Wally Worldmodel the actual T/C model sold elsewhere? Wondering if T/C put some lower cost parts on that Omega just for Wally World. Not to say it isn't a great deal, just wondering! I know they did that with the Black Diamond.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

The omega z-5 originally went for $289 at walmart,then with most of the hunting seasons coming to an end they put them on clearence for $169.Then they marked them down to $109 (sweet).Iput one on layaway at $289,I picked it up last nite for the $109 price.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:32 PM

little-d relax man. "The little man" isn't being robbed by T/C or their dealers. The small shop I work for buys the Z5 for $239 and we only mark them up for too $249 as a draw to get folks in to buy other stuff. Naturally they canabalized the rest of our blackpowder guns on the shelf and now we are stuck with those being on sale. So much for screwing the little man huh? BTW what IS a fair price since you seem to know so much about retail markup and pricing? $10, $50, $100? You tell me. We probably had $25k worth of blackpowder guns on the shelves this summer ready before season. If you say $10 is a fair price that is only $2500 profit on something that tied up $25k worth of cash for the season. If you think that is a reasonable return then you obviously have NEVER run a business or been accountable for profits in your line of work!

WalMart obviously buys TRUCKLOADS and wharehouses full of this crap and I am sure they are getting a discount for such a large contract. But I honestly do not think they are buying them for anywhere under $200. The $169 is a "loss leader" and is just like our sale price, to get folks in the door and sell them something else. The $109 is simply foolish and someone is loosing their shirt (or giving away the store). WalMart can afford to loose the cash on some items and make it up elsewhere. They can't sit on those guns until nextyear.

If you just do the math you would understand how much cash/interest/capitalopportunity lossthat costs them. They have what several thousand stores? If they only had 10 Z5s in each store that is tens of thousands of Z5s. At $200 a pop that is a couple of million bucks sitting on their shelfs (and more like tens of millions). That interest is still ticking or if they indeed paid cash for them (which they did) then that money is better utilized elsewhere. Thus the importance to clear the shelves, free up the money and go on elsewhere.

Now you understand that it is not some giant conspiracy between T/C and their dealer network? The ONLY conspiracy is that T/C sells too WalMart AND their independent dealer network in the first place. IMHO it should be one or the other!
RA

ps
To answer the orginal question, NO the Z5 is NOT a piece of junk. The only difference between it and the original blacksteel/synthetic Omega is in the sights and the trigger assembly. The Z5 has a pressed assembly that is cheaper and faster to produce. It is made from cast pieces but isn't a structural part of the gun so strength really doesn't matter. The sights are still better than average as well. IMHO anyone that buys a regular Omega over the Z5 is a fool. In fact you can expect the black/syn original Omega to go away. I wonder how long it will take T/C to put the same cheaper features in the stainless/camo Omegas and drop their price by equal amounts. If I were Traditions/CVA I would be skeert, VERY skeert!!! []