Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Thunderhawk

Old 12-11-2005, 09:58 AM

Default RE: Thompson Center Thunderhawk

If you still can't get the charge to fire after putting the new nipple and a few grains of loose powder in, you're going to either have to pull the sabot out via a screw-in jag, or the better method is to buy a C02 unloader, which fits on the nipple and you squirt some CO2 through to push the whole load out. If you end up going that route, just be careful because it does come out with some force. Do it outside pointing at some soft ground. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:55 PM

I've had good luck with 250 grain shockwaves and 100 grains of loose 777 from my T hawk.I keep telling myself I'm gonna get a newer Ml with a removable breech plug but this dang thing shoots sweet and I love the thumbhole stock.Just a pain to clean without a breech plug.How are ya'll cleaning yours? I use a nipple with a piece of plastic tubing to siphon hot water into the barrel.

If you have to use a bullet puller to get the bullet out.The sabot may be a pita to get to come out.I accidently put a bullet down with no powder once(it's a long story).The bullet pulled easy but the sabot was a pain to get out.I would up priming the nipple hole and shooting it out.

CB
Old 12-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Remember if you pull the nipple and pack some powder under there and fire it and the charge does not ignite for some reason, when you reprime, make sure to check the projectile in the barrel in case it moved off the powder charge. If not and it were to fire, it could cause a barrel obstruction and damage the rifle or possibly injure someone...
Old 12-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Something you might want to try remove the nipple, put a little loose powder in the breech, reinstall the nipple itshould help the pellets fire.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad- I have used the Kicker powder trick on several sidelocks.I pull the lead off a .22 bullet and use that powder.You can't get much under the nipple,and that powder is hot.Never had it fail.

Charlie
Old 12-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Thunderhawk with SS Barrel synth stock in 94.Cuttin edge gun back then but still a great shooter today. A royal pain in butt to clean with the fixed breech plug and that stinkin spring loaded screw in bolt plug!!

Played with alot of loads in that gun and finally found what I thought was the perfect load.Had great accuracy,easy loading and good knock down power with 90gr FF BP,275gr T/C MaxiHunters or T/C 320gr MaxiBalls.
Maxihunter was more lethal on deer with Maxiball being more accurate.
I converted to flame thrower nipple and Musket caps(I believe they call them).Big Improvement in ignition,No Lag and cleaner.

Haven't shot the gun in 5-6 yrs but just swapped out scopes and might switch to APP and some Precision "Silver Lightning" sabots in 300gr I bought couple yrs ago just for that gun.

A great shooter with the T/C conicals. Make sure you pull the bolt and diassemble and clean yearly.The spring will corrode,weaken or break and then all you'll get is a pop when you pull the trigger on a nice buck.
I Found that out the hard way and it sucks[:@]

Good Luck
Old 12-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone for the help!

After finding the nipple in bad shape.I dont feel safe firing the gun so i ordered the C02 Load Discharger.I'll keep you guys posted if it comes out with the C02

Best
Artie
Old 12-13-2005, 07:46 PM

I have Firehawk in .54 caliber. I bought it a big discount from Bass pro years ago. It is stainless with the balck synthetic stock. It came with a free conversion kit for 209 primers. I think I paid 149.00 for it. I bought a thompson center 209 flamethrower nipple and changed the rear site to one I took off of an Austin and Halleck. It shoots great with American Pioneer Powder in fffg. I usually use 100 grains with a 535 gr. No Excuses bullet. It really likes them and they pack a wallop. Rifle is light but it doesnt kick much. I tried some remington .54 golden roundballs my brother gave to me with some prelubed pillow ticking patches. I used 100 grains APP and boy does it shoot. Think Ill use it and the roundball load on Saturday. I think my brother had the same problem one time and we used a .22 rod and mallet to push it out from behind. It was an aluminum rod though not steel. Also, it was loose powder. Check it and see if it fits if all else fails.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:36 AM

Received the discharger today and it worked like a charm :-)

Thanks everyone for the help

Artie