Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

protection from moisture for a 209 primer

Old 12-06-2005, 08:26 AM

Default protection from moisture for a 209 primer

How do you protect an inline with a 209 primer hole from moisture when storing loaded over night? I have the covers for the muzzle end, but nothing for primer end.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: protection from moisture for a 209 primer

why would you leave the 209 cap on the rifle while your storing it? Take the 209 primer off the nipple when you store it and put it in your pocket. When you store your rifle, you really have no reason to leave the rifle loaded and ready to go. Be sure and mark the rifle to warn others that the rifle is charged. I put a red handkerchief through the trigger guard.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

If you are leaving the "charged, but un-oprimed" rifle say in the garage or trunk of your car so that it remains ambient outdoor temperature, then you should be fine for several days.

Don't leave a cover over the muzzle end, you will trap moisture within the barrel if there is a temperature change. You only need a cover on the muzzle if it's raining.

You also don't need to cover the nipple or breech plug primer port.

My rule of thumb is this:
1) If near freezing and below, I will leave an un-primed and charged ML for up to a week or so.
2) If you must bring the rifle indoors, then I will always discharge the ML at the end of the days hunt and detail clean and prep for the next day. Load fresh in the morning. If you bring a cold rifle inside, it will draw condensation and moisture and could foul your charge or worsegive rust an excellent opportunity to get started.
3) If it's very damp or raining & above freezing, I always discharge (or you canpull the charge oruse a CO2 discharger)at the end of the day, detail clean and prep for the next days hunt. Load fresh in the morning.

Regards,

Tahquamenon
Old 12-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

stinkbelly,

My first impression when I read your post was as Cayugad's why would you leave it capped? But, after to reading it a couple times it became clear to me and Tahquamenonwhat your concern was.

I think Tahquamenonprovided an excellent answer. Taking the muzzle protection off is important for the barrel to breath.

Moisture is a big concern, sub powders tend to draw moisture rather well. If there is enough moisture in the air to cause a concern - dump the load and start over. I personally leave my ML's loaded forextended periods of time, coming home from hunting, if the gun rides in the truck I will not heat the truck to a really warm comfortable cabin temp. It will remain cool if the outside temp warrants this. When it gets home, if I am going to use the next day it goes in the unheated garage overnight, or if the temp is really cold it remains in the truck. At hunting camp it will remain at the ambient temp by leaving it overnight in the truck.

Rainy wet days - that is where you will really need to make a decision because the air is so damp - the powder will absorb X amount of moisture no matter what. Safe is better than sorry. Time and experiance are and will be your best guide.

Good luck

Old 12-06-2005, 12:12 PM

The question was basically how to protect the hole where the 209 primer would be frommoisturewhile storing a ML with powder and a projectile. I thought you bagged the muzzle end and put a cap or something over the "nipple" area, but I can't find anything for sale. I do not leave the live primer in place.

Now I understand if there isn't excessive moisture I should be ok, but what if I need to pull the bullet and powder. What cleaning method is required after pulling a bullet and powder if it wasn't fired? Do I just try to get it all out and then put new powder and bullet back in?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am new and planning a hunt this weekend.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

stinkbelly

Now I understand if there isn't excessive moisture I should be ok, but what if I need to pull the bullet and powder. What cleaning method is required after pulling a bullet and powder if it wasn't fired? Do I just try to get it all out and then put new powder and bullet back in?
You do have some options:
1. shoot the load out
2. pull the load with the ram-rod & ball remover
3. blow it out with a CO2 cannister
4. remove the breech plug and push the load out the back

With option 2,3,4 - patching the bore may be the only thing you need to do & reload it in the morning. If it was a saboted bullet do not re-use the sabot if it was a conical save it for plinking but i do not think I would reload it.

3& 4 would be my choices...

Good luck - hope everything works out for you

If you removed everything because of moisture - I would certainly pop a few caps or primers before I reloaded
Old 12-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

you are all correct, I misread his post and apologize. Your not leaving it primed, yousimply want to know how to store it over night. I take both the primer out, and the muzzle mit off. I put the rifle in the same temperatures as I hunted if possible in a dry corner out of the way. I put a soft cloth on the ground and putting muzzle end down on the cloth lean it into a corner. That way any condensation that might form moves away from the main charge. As for the primer hole, I do nothing. So far I've been lucky. I wonder what would happen if a person put a Q-Tip in there? If that Q-tip would absorb any moisture that might form. Many of the breechs have a large hollow filled with powder so that would protect the actual flash hole. Something for me to experiment with I guess.

Like also mentioned, if it is real damp then your better off shooting and reloading clean the next day. In fact I have gotten so paranoid about them going off, I very very seldom leave one loaded unless I come in real late at night from somewhere.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Stinkbelly-I keep a spent primer in the Omega and close the breech.

Charlie