Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady HP/XTP's

Old 12-06-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Hornady HP/XTP's

Anyone have any experiences with the Hornady HP/XTP's? I shot a small buck over the weekend - hit it a little too far forward so I got the front shoulder dead on. The bullet made a fairly large hole at the shoulder on entrance and remained lodged in the neck area - no exit hole.

Anyone have any thoughts on the performance characteristics of this bullet? I like the way the bullet shoots and loads - good accuracy.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how good this bullet performs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lyle

Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 AM

Default RE: Hornady HP/XTP's

I really don't like it all that much, as it's just a self defense bullet repackaged as a BP sabot. I would rather pass a bullet through the deer then use the XTP style round. Others on this board really like it so you're milage may vary.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

I've killed several dozen deer with either a 240 or 300 grain XTP.

They are very effective. That said, you also need to push them a bitfaster if you want a pass through and more damage.

However, if you focus on a heart shot and can regularly shoot inside of 3-4" at 100 yards from a hunting rest or situation then the XTP drops deer very well.

Example:
From a 50 calat a range of say 40-80yards: if you are shooting a 240gr XTP andsay 80-85 grains of 777 FFG (or two 777 pellets) and double lung shot, often the XTP will stop on the far side if it hits a rib going in and on the far side. But, if you bump up the charge to 95-110 grains loose (or three 777 pellets) if your rifle will accept heavier loads, you will get a complete passthrough on a double lung shot. If you focus on heart shots (the top of the heart if you can) then the XTP does drop them well.

I still hunt with an XTP of some sort. But I have really found exceptional terminal performace with the Hornady SST in either 250 or 300 grain. Really is a super leathal load.

All of that said, shot placement is what it's all about. If you took a shoulder with a moderate load XTP then I am not a bit surprised that you did not get a pass through. You may not even with a heavier load.

Tahquamenon
Old 12-06-2005, 08:22 AM
bigcountry

I really like em. I suggest the XTP mag .451 bullet however. Its really made for 1700fps as the regular .44 bullet expands alot I ahve found.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

I agree.

Although I have only shot one deer with a .451 XTP Mag, it really hammered the deer. Right through the leg joint and dissolved the heart. Did not pass through, but thedeer jumped once and folded.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:41 AM

hornady xtp and speer.451 diameter 45 cal. pistol bullets are all i use outof my mk 85,tc white mountain carbine, renagadeand my omega 50 cal's. I have tried all different weights in these bullet and they perform excellent. The knight likes the 200,230-300 gr.hollowpoint bullets. The two side hammers like the 230's and the 300's. The omega likes the 230 xtp's/hp with 150 grs. of 777 and the 230 fmj bullets with all the charges iv'e tried, it does shoot the 300 plated soft point speer bullet with the 150 gr charge very well when i use the gun rest but i am so scared of the recoil with that load that i pull a little when i shoot. The knight mk 85 50 cal. will stack300 gr bulletsall day with 110& 120 GR LOADS. I use the black sabots made by Precision Rifle with all the bullets i have tried, they are themmp hi pressure .450" - .452" I buythe bullets and the sabots separateonline at natchez shooting supplies in bulk. I am not saying these are better than the other bullet types and grains. It's justbecause the only other bullet i have shot were homemade maxi balls, and that was just to break the guns in. They even shot fair out to about 70 yards but's thats about as far as i can see and hit a small target with open sights.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 300 gr. .451 45/50 Speer Gold Dot would be my choice. Match that bullet with a 45/50 black Harvester shortplastic sabot & you have a deadly pair for around 25 cents per shot.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

I have just started testing the gold dot and at this point I would agree - I want to see it's performance on a game animal then I'll know for sure. But on paper WOW!

I prefer the HPH-24 long petal sabot though - they are landing at about 10 yards from the muzzle - so they are really coming off quickly.

I collected a bunch of 24's and a batch of regular Harvesters from my last target shooting activity a couple of weeks ago and both batches of spent sabots were in very shape.

T7 you are saying they are .451 - I just bought several boxes and they are listed and measure with a mic .452. On the Speer web site they are listed as .452 also:

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=7&s2=27

I see my error, I am shooting the 250 grain Colt and the 300 grain Casual - Which bullets are you shooting?