Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Powder do you use?

Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Powder do you use?

What powder and load do you all use? I have not shot my rifle yet but when my grandpa used to shoot it he used pyrodex. That is what I bought and will use to since it worked well for my grandpa and I can find it at my sporting goods store. I will start off with roundballs. Before hunting season gets here next year I would like to get shooting those buffaloe ball-ets. So I hope for my load to be pyrodex and buffaloe ball-ets. I need to see how much powder my gun likes.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What Powder do you use?

pse-archer,

If you are going to stay claose to traditional - ask Cayugad about GOEX, I actually think you might like it better than any form of PYRO.

I myself use T7 loose either 2f or 3f, but I am moving to all fffg.

I can not remember if your gramp's rifle was a flint or percussion?

A lot of the How Much (powder)? depends on the projectile you choose... listen carefully to Cayugads advice... He is probably out hunting right now, like I should be, but the president of the Board of Directors indicated that i should spend the day here - darn.....

Do you have a manual for gramp's rifle? If you do not, I would really suggest you get one from the manufacture. They will usually supply you one free, especially if it is a TC.

When you start, you are going to love it....
Old 12-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will geta manual. I can not find goex around here and I dont want to pay hazmat shipping. Cayugad has good advise. I really listen to what he says. He has been a big help.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Your Pyrodex will work just fine. It will make nice smoke and give good power to the roundball. Since you have a Thompson Center .54 caliber I will guess that 80-90 grains of Pyrodex and a patched roundball will give you excellent accuracy. And that is more then enough power to take out most anything you will run into...
Old 12-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad has been a big help to every one,a great support for all of us
newbies,you are the man cayugad![8D]
Old 12-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coyote170

cayugad has been a big help to every one,a great support for all of us
newbies,you are the man cayugad![8D]
Well said. Toast to cayugad!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

The powder I use depends on the gun I am loading. I use GOEX ClearShot FFFg with a Maxiball in my .50 hawken (I still have 5 pounds of it, which will be all I'll ever need!!). I use 777 FFg in my .45 Hawken with a Maxiball. (See pic below)I use Pyrodex in two inlines I have, and Swiss FFg in both of my flintlocks. I still have several pounds of GOEX FFg and a couple of ancient cans of DuPont FFg, plus a can of Curtis & Harvey (Austin Powder Co.) Musket powder. Haven't used any of this since about 1975 or so!

Old 12-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Let's see...

Inlines and Caplocks: Black Mag'3, Hodgdon 777 FFFG & FFG (usually 3FG), Swiss FFFG Black Powder. Remington Kleenbore and Winchester 209 Primers and RWS Dynamit-Nobel #1075 percussion caps.

Flintlocks: Swiss FFFG Black Powder (4FG priming).

As far as loads, if you are shooting patched roundball (PRB) (or whatever), you will need to pick a powder and then work up a load.

For hunting with your 54cal caplockT/C, I would suggest the following:
.530 Hornady Roundball, .018" Lubed Ticking Patch, 54 or 58 caliber lubed wonderwad and RWS caps. If .018" is too thick of a patch, then go with the standard .015" white lubed patch.

Start out by loading a moderate load about 80-90 grains or so depending on your powder choice. If you are shooting 3FG powder, then remember to reduce your max loading data by 10%. And if you are shooting BM3 or 777, reduce your loads by another 15%.

Load the powder, then the wad, then the PRB. Wad's allow you to load heavier hunting charges without blowng the patch and can really bring some great accuracy with hunting loads.

Regards,

Tahquamenon
Old 12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tahquamenon

Let's see...

Inlines and Caplocks: Black Mag'3, Hodgdon 777 FFFG & FFG (usually 3FG), Swiss FFFG Black Powder. Remington Kleenbore and Winchester 209 Primers and RWS Dynamit-Nobel #1075 percussion caps.

Flintlocks: Swiss FFFG Black Powder (4FG priming).

As far as loads, if you are shooting patched roundball (PRB) (or whatever), you will need to pick a powder and then work up a load.

For hunting with your 54cal caplockT/C, I would suggest the following:
.530 Hornady Roundball, .018" Lubed Ticking Patch, 54 or 58 caliber lubed wonderwad and RWS caps. If .018" is too thick of a patch, then go with the standard .015" white lubed patch.

Start out by loading a moderate load about 80-90 grains or so depending on your powder choice. If you are shooting 3FG powder, then remember to reduce your max loading data by 10%. And if you are shooting BM3 or 777, reduce your loads by another 15%.

Load the powder, then the wad, then the PRB. Wad's allow you to load heavier hunting charges without blowng the patch and can really bring some great accuracy with hunting loads.

Regards,

Tahquamenon
Thanks!