Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hog and deer hunting combo

Old 12-03-2005, 11:44 AM

Default hog and deer hunting combo

I got to go hog & deer huntingfriday and this moringat one of my friends honey-holes, sat inhis shooting house for 4 hours, there was shooting all around on the neighbors place. I saw two guys go by on the otherside of the fence on 4 wheelers they both hadbig hogs. I think they scared all the hogs way west of me, but right at the last few minutes of light a big doe came out of the brush about 40 or 50yards I waited for a littlebit hoping a buck would show his face but he didn't. My gun was loaded with a 230 gr. fullmetal jacket, i put the bullet through both shoulders andthe bulletkept on going. When i skined her lastnight i thought both shoulders were going to be dog meat but the fmj did not tear them up to bad.The exit hole was the same size coming out as it was going in about the size of a dime. But the bone fragments were everywhere some even made it up into the spine area. She hit the ground and the only movement i saw was atail flicker. Then this moring i was back in the shooting house before light and 6 piglets came out at 6:30to feedin the foodplot about 70 yardsfrom me the bigest one was only about 50 pounds, when the bullet hit her heart area she jumped and hit the ground the rest of the pigs came running towards the stand and stopped about 20 yards from me. I didn't have enough time to reload before they caught my scent and split. But when they crossed the wooded area onto the neighbors foodplot two ml's shot about the same time and here what was left of them came back in front of me but never slowed down long enough for a clean shot. I got out of the stand and gutted the pig and loaded her up and the guys from the other place came up the trail both of them got one each. The one i shot was red colored and the ones the other guys shot were black. They wanted to know if i was the one who shot fri afternoon and what i got .They said when they were leaving a huge buck ran across the road towards me and they thought i might have shot it. One of the guys had his pocket cam with him and we hung all 3 up at their camphouse and took a group shot. I hope they give me a picture when they get the filmdeveloped if they do i will post it.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hog and deer hunting combo

Who makes the bullet and sabot combination your using and what powder charge are you shooting? It sounds interesting.. a full metal jacket bullet. Some states, that would be considered illegal I think. Also is there a reason why you do not want expansion, or have you just not noticed any expansion with the load?
Old 12-03-2005, 09:33 PM

i just order my bullets from Natchez Shooters Supplies in the reloading category i get a box of a 100 xtp for about $ 12.00,and then get the mmp black sabots in the blackpowder category for $ 5.00 or so for50.That way i can get the bullet i want . I got the full metal jacket bullets for the hogs they do a lot better on their thick hide than the hollowpoints,but if you shoot a deer with them you better put it in the heart/lung or spine. I have always shot the speer and hornady 451. 45cal bullets with the mmp sabots an done real good,i have got my scope set using a 150 gr.of loose 777,in my tc omega i know thats a little more that whats your supose to use but they seem to work good and don't drop as fast as the shockwaves.as far as expansion when i use the holler points they almost always expand good and hold together fare unless you hit the spine then it blows up and stops them in their tracks.If i take my mk 85 i use the same bullet sabot combo but i have the scope set using a 300 gr bullet with 120 gr of 777. but i have to use it with a 100 yard shot or closer. Cause it drops like a ton of brick. I have yet to shoot a hog big or little that the bullet didn't get a pass through even if i hit the spine it still goes through if it's within a 100 yard range. I did shoot a big boar last year at 120 yards with the mk 85 with the 300 gr speer and a 110 gr load that didn't make it all the way through but my shoot hit it midway back in the lung area it made it out in the swamp about 100 yards or so and that was one hard critter to get close to my atv. One of my brotherinlaws shoots the tc.black D. with 3 777 pellets i was in the shooting house when he made a 200 yard shot on a 140 pound deer,he shoots the 44 cal xtp with the green sabot but one or 2 shots is all he can shoot cause the 3 pellets tear the green sabots to shreds,i have tried to get him to use a different sabot but he only needs one shot and then has game to skin.I have tried to shoot other bullets with less powder like a 200 gr xtp hollowpoint and 90 gr of 777 and it works great at close range but you better not hit any limbs or it will knock the bullet off corse. I have used the big maxi balls and 100 gr of 777 and had good luck on the hogs also up close but they really drop after a 100 yards.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Real interesting information there.

If the sabots are being torn to shreds in your brother in laws Black Diamond, have him put a sub base under them and it should stop that and maybe not effect the accuracy at all. In my Black Diamond XR I have never shot pellets. This year when Wal Mart has their sale I am going to get a couple boxes and try some 200 yard stuff in the hay field. I usually shoot 110-120 grains of loose powder out of it, and the power and bullet performance is excellent.

I also buy my bullets in bulk. Heck, just the other week I bought a 100 pack of the 240 grain Hornady XTP and I noticed I have about six of them left. I think the Bullet Fairy is sneaking into my supply and night and hauling off the shiny little chunks of rocks...

I tried some Speer bullets in .430 diameter and have not had the kind of luck with them I want. They are fine out to about 75 yards and then all of a sudden for no reason I can figure ... they open up the group. I think I am going to drop the powder charge on them and shoot them out of my little Wolverine. That might make them behave.

I envy you with your ability to hunt hog. That is something I will do, and soon. Good luck and keep knocking them down.