Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabelas Hawken

Old 12-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cabelas Hawken

My only concern with those contraptions is that they don't really resemble a true Hawken rifle in any respect except that they are half-stocks.

IF you want a good quality rifle that is based on the Hawken Plains rifle pattern, I recommend a Lyman Great Plains rifle. Except for custom-made guns, these are very close to a real Hawken. They still come in .54 as well as .50.

Another excellent, and reasonably priced hawken reproduction is the Santa Fe Hawken. These rifles are exact reproductions, except for caliber,of the rifle the Commanches took from Jedediah Smith when they killed him in 1831. Jed's was about a .53, and took 526" balls. These new ones are .50 or .54. The Commanches sold his rifle and two pistols to the Spanish in Santa Fe.

http://www.ubertireplicas.com/whats-newModels.html

The Lyman Great Plains is a high-quality piece, and even the flintlock version fires well with no alterations to the frizzen or lock mechanism!

I have one of the Santa Fe hawkens. It shoots very well, but is a little on the heavy side. Good to carry on horseback, but not too far on foot!
Old 12-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cabelas Hawken

ORIGINAL: cayugad

With these drop in barrels they range in caliber from .32 - .50 in fast and slow twist barrels. In order to get the bigger calibers, you have to go to a Thompson Center .54 caliber rifle and then you can get a drop in all the way up to a .62 caliber.
Actually, you can go up to .54cal in a 15/16" GM IBS barrel.