Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Father and Son Score with ML'S

Old 11-20-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Father and Son Score with ML'S

Gun season opening day in Illinois was Friday 11/18/05.
I hunted in the morning with my buddy and got a 120 yard shot at a nice 6-8 pt. He donkey kicked and ran off into some weeds to bed down. I could see through the binocs that he was limping and had blood on his right front leg. Anyway he bedded down for about 1-1 1/2 hours and all of a sudden gets up. We did not push or pressure him. We watched him hobble off and tried a hail mary shot to stop him. We found bright red blood trail and followed it until the blood was real small drops then circled out from there and eventually couldn't recover him. Coyote's-1, us-0.
Went back out that evening and got a neck shot--about 40 yards at the doe pictured and dropped her---Yes! She'sa healthy girl and weighs 122#'s---Nice. Got some meat for sausage now.
Next moring my son Zach 15 years old shoots the pictured buck with 1 shot from his CVA optima. Very good shot that connected in the shoulders and dropped him at about 30-35 yards. More meat---good!
Zach's load was 90 gr of Clear Shot with 250 gr T/C Shock waves.
I also shoot the same load out of my T/C Encore--luv dat gun.
This is my sons first deer with a muzzleloader and yes I'm proud--172 #'s and a nice 12pt rack thats going on the wall.
Thanks hunting gods--you did us right.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Father and Son Score with ML'S

zakjak221,
Congratulations to the both of you! L@@king forward to seeing the pictures.
I live in Northern Ill andI have themuzzleloader season, so I'm still waiting for my turn on stand.
My most memorable hunts were with my boys.
I'm happy for you....good job Dad!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:50 PM

Sorry guys, but I'm having a hard time posting pictures, it says that the file is too large.
Any help would be appreciated----Thanks!
Old 11-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

if the pictures are too large, you have to reduce them. Often times a simple changing them from the present file they are, suca as a common BMP file to a JPG file will shrink them enough. Also some sites have an automatic reducer, I am not sure the host site you're using..

congratulations to you and your son on the deer. Always exciting when every thing works out well...
Old 11-20-2005, 04:52 PM

If you can't figure it out send them to me and I will post them for you on my site for a while.

[email protected]

Paul
Old 11-21-2005, 12:25 PM

Ok here ya go Mark.

Marks Doe

Zach's 12 point!

Father and Son:

By far my favorite picture, you should print it off and frame it.

Hell of a nice buck Zach, way to go!

Paul
Old 11-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats on the deer! thats a heck of a nice buck!!! did that doe weigh 122 before or after gutting?? just wondering....i take alot of does for sausage myself.....and shot a couple that i really wish i would had weighed......just trying to get an idea....
Old 11-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Paul--Thanks for posting the pictures for us--Good job.

Mauser--The doe weighed 122#'s after field dressing. We weighed both the buck & doe at the local archery shop that sponsers a big buck (3 heaviest) and 1 big doe also heaviest each year.
It maybe hard to tell from photo, but that doe had big shoulders and a big ass. I'd guess her to be 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 years old.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:53 PM

How old do you think the buck is?

Quick Reply: Father and Son Score with ML'S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.