Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Scope

Old 11-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Default New Scope

Jus got a new scope for my new Kodiak Mag. What is the easiest way to sight the new scope in? Can I use a laser boresight kit? All I want to do is be on target at 100 yards. Once I'm on the paper, I'll dial it in by firing.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Scope

The best way to do it without buying a $100 boresighter is to set your gun in a solid rest, pull out your breech plug and sight in on your target looking through your barrel toward your target. You have to use a little bit of imagination and picture a crosshair at the front of your barrel and center your barrel on your target. Once you do that, then adjust your scope to the center of the target being careful not to nudge your gun or knock it over. When thats done put your gun back together and fire as you normally would this will put you on paper where you then can make fine adjustments to your scope. What kind of scope did you get. I shoot a Bushnell Banner scope with a 1.5X4 adjustment and it sights good and hold up well to the blasts.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Scope

If you have a bore sighter, then by all means bore sight the thing. I personally take a large piece of cardboard and start them out at 13 yards and shoot for a bull. Then back up to 25 yards and again, shoot for a bull. I just work my way back to as far as I think I will shoot. That does a couple things, it checks my mounting procedures, and scope, also it gives me time to get used to the scope and the recoil of the rifle.