Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stock removal affect scope sighting?

Old 11-08-2005, 05:25 AM
Spike

Default Stock removal affect scope sighting?

I removed the synthetic stock on my TC stainless Omega last night to facilitate cleaning. Since the scope remains on the barrel, I know that theroretically it shouldn't disturb the sighting of the scope. I am just thinking, however, that as you re-install the stock screws it might slightly torque the alignment of the barrel/scope?

I think I am being overly paranoid about this, but thought I would pose the question to all of you who probably have done this many times, and can confirm my suspicion that it has no affect.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Stock removal affect scope sighting?

Any time you change anything on a rifle there is the slight chance that it will effect the accuracy. I take the stocks off my rifles when I clean them all the time. When I check them back at the range I find more times then not, that the rifle accuracy is fine. I do suggest to get into a habit of trying to "feel" how much you tighten the screws back into the stock. If you can get them back about the same you should have no problems. Many of the composite sticks have a point where washers will take over and seat the final head of the lug locking screw into a certain position over and over.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:07 AM
bigcountry

yep, on about all my centerfire rifles, if you disturb the bedding it might affect POI. Might not be much with a solid bed.

On my KNihgt elite, it definatley changes, but I fiddles around and removed material and glass'd it and it fits in too tight now. On this gun, it can change POI 2MOA.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:47 AM

You won't know until you try it a few times after taking the stock off. All of my T/C's are pretty good about holding zero. The Knight Disc rifle that I recently sold was not so good. Generally, guns with good bedding and a free floated barrel channel have the best chance of staying zeroed.

If you can get your hands on one of those automotive torque wrenches that measure in inch-pounds, try torquing the stock screws to 65 inch pounds each time. Also - when you get the screws started, but not yet tight, put the muzzle of the rifle against asolid surface and push the action back into the stock firmly before giving them final torque.