Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 and moisture/temp sensitivity?

Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 777 and moisture/temp sensitivity?

All the posts and talk about how long I should leave my ML loaded and mositure drawing of certain powders has got me thinking. I use loose 777 powder and while i have never experienced a problem with it not going BANG. I wanted to know if anybody knows how this powder rates in terms of insensitivity to moisture/temperature? Does it draw more than other powders?

I have always aired on the side of caution and dumped the load at the end of the hunt. However what about during the hunt? Just more curious than anything I guess but got to thinking I am planning to spendmore time with ML than prior in Nov deer season this year where I will be subject to temperature changes, snow, etc,on all day hunts. I weatherproof my barrel and take other precautions but is it enough?

Any input or experiences...much appreciated.

Thanks and good hunting
Old 11-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 777 and moisture/temp sensitivity?

The only time I have had a misfire with 777 wasn't due to the moisture getting in the powder. I was hunting in the rain all day a couple of years ago and when the rain ended, of course a deer moved through the area. I went to take a shot and the 209 primer didn't go off. Moisture had gotten into it. By the time I recapped and recomposed, the deer was gone. It was a doe, but I was still pissed. I now basically do what manufacturers do to the primers on their waterfowl shells. I paint them with lacquer. You can use clear finger nail polish or spray them with spray paint clear coat. Keeps them sealed. I haven’t had a problem since. I also cover the barrel with plastic wrap and a rubber band when hunting in the rain or if it is really foggy or dewy. You can use finger cots, condoms or even balloons. The heat of the powder burns through it. Doesn't affect the shot. Keeps your powder dry!!

If you weatherproof your barrel, keep moisture out of your primers and store your powder properly, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I've hunted with Triple Se7en in sidelocks using roundball. If you water proof your rifle with a finger cot, you should not have any problems. I sat out there all day in a drizzle and shot a nice one just before dark came and the rifle fired like I had just loaded it.

Since you are shooting a 209 primer you should be more then safe. I have dropped them in water even and they still go off. Your concern should center around moisture going down the bore.

At the end of the day, I agree with you... fire it off or push it out.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:54 AM

One way in which moisture may get in your powder, when loaded, is going from one extreme temp to another. Condensation. I try to make the temp changes to my loaded gun, a gradual thing. Sometimes you can't, but if your gun is loaded properly, with the bullet seated tight to the powder, and a primer in the gun{use a spent primer}, moisture shouldn't be a issue.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep a primer in & keep the muzzle pointed slightly downward with a balloon, finger cot.... cotton ball... rubber-banded shrink wrap... etc... over the muzzle.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have those things covered, so in guess I am worring about nothing. It happens when you want to be hunting but just can't get out.

thanks