Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking into BP rifle, and need help

Old 11-04-2005, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking into BP rifle, and need help

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Well, According to the IDNR I have to use a 50 caliber muzzleloader. It says projectile must be a minimum of .44 caliber. That means the .45 is out of the question.
Although I would recommend a .50, why does a minimum of .44 rule out a .45? The .45 shoots a .445" round ball, or a .450"-.451" conical! Only a sabot would require a bullet under .440", and sabotsare NOT the only possiblebullet selection!! (IF you ever go after elk, most states would require at least a .50!)
Old 11-04-2005, 08:39 AM

I should have stated that differently. I am ONLY interested in shooting sabot rounds. I appreciate your input, even though you brought nothing new to the table.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:22 AM

I own a Knight Elite Extreme and I had very good 150 yd groups(6"). Then I read an article by Randy Wakeman about the Knight Elite. Knight was discontinuing this line so I was able to get one at 1/2 price. God he was right! This thing shoots like a target rifle. Sub-2"groups at 150. I have tried numerous rounds and I have settled on the Barnes solid copper HP at 300 gr. Awesome accuracy and knock down power. If you can find one, I believe you can't go wrong!!!!!!!!! I have always owned TC rifles and shotguns and they have a great product. But every once in awhile one comes along like this Elite. Knight took a wrong turn in the road when they dropped this line,

Check out Ranky Wakeman's articles on this Black Powder Gun.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Another option I have been looking at for smokeless is to find a used NEF or buy a new one and send off for the smokeless barrel for it that an aftermarket outfit makes. Forgot the link but should be easy to find. I think the result might be a smokeless rifle somewhat lighter than the savage without the complications a bolt adds to the cleaning and upkeep. Not to knock the Savage as it is a great rifle also; but just another option to consider. A bolt in a muzzleloader seems to me to be added length that would be better used in the barrel length (my reason for selecting the Omega when first buying). If I wanted to shoot that far I think I would be looking at smokeless and practicing a lot. Try address I just found again http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com. I am not sure how to add a link but if this does not connect type it in.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:41 AM

As everyone else has said, the Knight is a nice ML but I was never a fan of the plastic jacket. I just thought it was one more thing to fumble with and go wrong. I have not shot a Savage but they look pretty darn nice. I have shot the Omega and I own an Encore. Both are very accurate to 150 yards. (I have not shot either at 200 yards yet.) I would not hesitate to suggest the Encore just because of the overall flexibility of this firearm. If your purchase will strictly be for muzzleloading, the price might affect your decision with the Encore.

Do you have a local range where people shoot muzzleloaders? If so, just hang out and talk to people that have different models. I have found that shooters are quite nice and the muzzleloader shooters are the best of the bunch. I always get offers to shoot ml guns that cost upwards of $2k from these guys.

Good luck with your decision.

PS - Buy the Encore!