Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm getting frustrated!!!

Old 11-03-2005, 01:32 PM

Default RE: I'm getting frustrated!!!

I think you will be happy with the Shockwaves. Either 250's or 200's. My best load to date for my Enocre 209x50 is 130grains of Pyrodex pellets, two 50's and one 30, and a 200grain Shockwave ignited by a Winchester 209 primer. I can consistantly get .5-1.5 groups at 100 yards using a bench and solid rest with sandbags. You really need a good rest to find a load or you will be chasing your tail. Listen to all the good advice here, load each shot consitantly, swab between shots and relax. If you start getting frustrated, take a break and just think about what is going on. Writing down info on each shot is helpful also. Take your time and realize that finding a load for a ML may take days or weeks. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Default RE: I'm getting frustrated!!!

I went out and bought a box of lead conicals and a box of TC 300 grain spiretip shockwaves. They were out of every other size shockwaves. We have only had a few nice days this week so I haven't shot as much as I had hoped. I did get time to shoot half a box of the conicals and then I used a piece of scotchbright pad and some bore polish a friend had and I polished the hell out of the barrel. There was a huge difference in the looks inside the barrel, it's now very shiny.

I had a little time this afternoon and tried shooting again. The first thing I noticed was that the sabots loaded much better/easier now. I started with 90 grains of pyrodex RS and the 245 powerbelts and 300 shockwaves. I was very frustrated again with horrible groups with both bullets. I then tried the buffalo bullet 240 grain copper plated hollow point sabots and I didn't expect much. Holy crap was I surprised, I shot a 2 1/2 inch group at 100 yards! 2 shots were a half inch apart. (I measured from the center of the hole) I was really happy with that and decided to try the 777 pellets (100 grains)with the same bullet. I fired 3 careful shots and was shocked to find a 1 1/2 inch group but it was 6-7 inches high. I am so excited to finally get a good group and I decided to quit while things were good. I also built a nice solid adjustable rest today that I think will tighten the groups up a little but I have to wait for the paint to dry.

This weekend I'm planning to shoot some more withe the second combo and really tweak the scope to get it dead on. Hopefully it will shoot well at 150-200 yards. Thanks for all of the good advice.