Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight mk85

Old 11-01-2005, 11:02 PM

Default RE: knight mk85

I have a lil 22" Wolverine (did the 209 discless conversion for fartsNgiggles) that I love. BUT it is the reason I bought a Savage ML II lastyear. I hunted with the Wolverine for 10 years and took a 368" 6x6 in NM with it in 98. But I HATED cleaning that damned thing! I had sense enough to put Warne quick detach mounts on it when new, so removing the scope for proper cleaning was a snap. BUT having to completely tear the rifle down for cleaning was a royal PITA. I just chose to spend my time doing other things than an hour or two each weekend cleaning that blasted thing.

If I didn't have the Savage I would probably be shooting an Omega or Encore (with an EZ Tip extractor). They are GREAT guns and quickly cleaned... fora BP gun anyway! [:'(]

LOL now I don't even have to remove the breechplug for 100 shots!
RA
Old 11-02-2005, 06:53 AM

i got mine mk85 in 91,put the 209 kit in it in 98, i use 120 gr of777 with either a 451. 230hp. or a fmj. or a 300xtp with a black mmp mag sabot ,and a cci 209. I can shoot 3 times with no bullet movement or swabing. After that it starts moving to the left. When cleaning take it all the way down remove all the parts. Leave the scope on . If you can use a scope when hunting wrap it with surgery tape before shooting,this keeps the powder off the scope,after shooting clean and re-tape. I know most of the time when you get through hunting it's late and all you want to do is eat and get ready for bed or if you got lucky and you have to clean your game it's even later.Either clean it before bed or wait no longer than one day to clean and keep it in the house where it's dry. Do this and it will outlive you.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:15 AM
bigcountry

Wow, little d, your way over suggested loading guidelines by 15% I think. I am sure (kinda) that everything will hold, but why take a risk?

Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 PM

It is a little over a safe charge,form what i got in a email from knight. When i ask how much was the top charge in the mk 85 we were talking about a charge of 120 gr. of Hodgdon pyrodex FFG. I know the 777 is a little more potent than the pyr. but i can't tell the differance between the two in the shot placement. From the amount of shooting with 777 i have done with a wide range of bullets i feel safe with that load. But don't go out and load your gun with that charge and think because you head it on the forum it's ok. I got a tc omega a few weeks back so i will save the hot loads for it now,talk about a rocker i have put16ozs of 777 though it already using all kinds of bullets.The biggest hole i made in a old propane tank that was full of water was with a bigchunk of tc maxi ball at 50 yards. I got some critters around my woods that can take a broadside shot that goes all the way through and still keep on ticking for a little while,so i want to put all the driving power i can in my weapon.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:43 PM
bigcountry

With the margin they put in, your probably safe. Good luck.