Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C sHOCK WAVE QUESTIONS?

Old 10-29-2005, 04:51 PM

Default T/C sHOCK WAVE QUESTIONS?

I just bought a encore 50 caliber, and am currenty sighting in with 250 grain shockwave sabots and 100 gr. of triple 7. I am hold a 3 inch group at 125 yards with them. M question would be when i recover the sabots they are not expanding at all just mushrooming a little bit. I am using a bullet starter for the shockwaves. Was wondering if anyone new if they were suppose to do this due to the fact ther are not going through any fluids to make them expand or are they not a good sabot to use? I am shooting through a board traget into some tree sections, and have recovered them from there.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:15 PM

Default RE: T/C sHOCK WAVE QUESTIONS?

Like most bullets, the Shockwaves need to go through a medium with a fairly high percentage of liquid to open up. Try them in a bundle of phone books soaked in water for 24 hours. They will open up big time - as they do on game animals. This is one of the best all around bullets available to muzzleloader. Works on every thing from whitetails to moose.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Dominant Buck

So your concern is the sabots are not opening up as much as you thought they should. That is not all that uncommon. The 200 grain blue sabots on the Shockwaves look like they could almost be reused. As long as you're getting good accuracy that would be my concern. Perhaps if you kick the load up even 20 grains, you might see a major difference in sabot appearance.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:50 PM

I think one of us misunderstood the question . . . . andit was probably me [8D]
Old 10-30-2005, 12:35 AM

thanks for responding , yes i am getting exellent accuracy and consistancy out of the shockwaves was just wondering why they werent opening up? Was wondering if it was due to not having and hydrolic expansion as they would going through blood or tissues instead of wood. have tried the barnes mz expanders and they load way to hard for my encore was going to try the spitfire expanders ther are suppose to bea little easier to load vs the mz expanders. Or does anyone have any other suggestions as far as sabots and powed loads with them. thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

If your looking for other loads to try, there are of course different weight Shockwaves which should shoot real good. Another company to look at it is Buffalo Bullet Company. They make sabots in 252. 302, & 375 grains boattail pure lead bullets. They load real easy and tend to shoot real well. All you can do is try them.