Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Early or Late Muzzleloader??

Old 10-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Early or Late Muzzleloader??

Hey guys and girls,
I was wondering where you guys sit on early and late season muzzleloader. I live in Iowa, and our peak rut, I would say, is late october, early novemer, until the end of november. I don't know what season I should hunt. I hunted late last year and am going to again this year, I wanted to go early this year, but we had all bean food plots this year. So this fall we have plowed up two more 3/4 acre plots for corn next year. We will have a total of 6 acres of corn and 1.5 acres of clover next year. The only problem with the food plots was that by the time late season muzzy came around, all the corn was gone. So maybe by adding these two more, there will be enough, and we are also going to try planting later so hopefully they will use the corn fields in the areas before our measley 6 acres compared to the thousands of acres they COULD use; I guess they like it being easy for them, beings it's RIGHT next to all the timber they use. We recieve quite a bit of hunting pressure through shotgun, but barely any through muzzy and bow. I like hunting late because it gives me something to do during my Christmas break. I also normally go up to Northeast Iowa during late, my sister's boyfriend owns some of that nice big buck country on the good ol' Mississippi. He took at 14 point, 198 monster out of there two years ago. He has seen numerous that would beat it. Just wondering what you guys thought on early or late??

Thanks,
Joey
Old 10-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Early or Late Muzzleloader??

I hunt both ML seasons...

Both seasons I hunt from the same stand for different reasons...

Early - Hunt next to several White oak trees and our food plot (clover and Biologic). This gives me the chance to at least take a doe and get some good freezer meat. It also tends to have many other critters running through it (yotes, coons, skunk, fox, etc.) to give me some other targets.

Late - Hunt the same field for the food plot, the rut is past and those Bucks are starvin' This has historically been a very productive area (next to rut hunts) for big bucks.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Our muzzleloader season is at the end of November into the first part of December. I hunt all rifle seasons with a muzzleloader so it really makes no difference. This coming Thursday out doe season starts in certain areas of the state and although I can use a centerfire rifle in them, I will be heading out with one of my muzzleloaders. Most likely the Wolverine but that could change at a moments notice.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Michigan we have a late season. Our season is from Dec. 9th through the 18th. Actually it depends on where in Michigan you hunt because other areas have a shorter season.

I will be heading to Tennessee in two weeks to hunt ML. I am totally excited. The Tennessee season only includes one weekend.

Tom
Old 11-17-2005, 06:05 PM

WE HAVE EARLY & LATE SEASONS HERE IN KY. EARLY
IS AROUND THE 18TH OF OCT. GREAT TIME FOR TAKING
A DOE FOR THE FREEZER. LATE SEASON IS MID DEC.
COLDER THAN A WELL DIGGERS KNUCKLE GREAT RUT
HUNTING FOR BUCKS. BUT I ALSO HUNT MODERN
FIREARMS SEASON WITH MY ML. SOMEONE TOLD ME
THATSTHE REASON THEY MAKE CHOCKOLAT &
VANILLA EVERBODYS HAPPY....LOL JMO