Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet loading & accuracy

Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Bullet loading & accuracy

I spent last Friday afternoon sighting in a T/C Omega 50 cal at the range. I've shot a few Powerbelts in the past without issue, but after reading some of the posts on this forum, I decided to try the 250 gr T/C Shockwave and the 300 gr Hornady XTP.

With a clean dry barrel, each of these bullets loaded without issue. But after shooting one shot using 100 gr Pyrodex pellets, I had a heck of a time loading each bullet. Between shots, I used a wet patch of a rubbing alcohol and Windex mixture to clean and then several patches afterward to dry.

The only way I was able to get a bullet down the barrel somewhat easily was to run a lubed patch down first. I do know this can cause issues with sabot accuracy---it definitely increased my group size@ 100 yds.

I'm trying to work up a good load for our upcoming Ohio deer season and don't want to be completely up a creek if a follow-up shot is needed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 10-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bullet loading & accuracy

Perhaps for a follow up shot use something that is easier to load such as a Powerbelt or a No Excuse Conical. These both are slip fit and should load on a dirty barrel. What you're looking for is a fast second follow up shot I am guessing.

Other wise, relax and swab the barrel, get you bearings, and load your second shot on a swabbed barrel which I am guessing is possible in your case.

Have you evey tried shooting the 460 grain No Excuse Conicals? I shoot them in my Black Diamond XR with 85 grains of powder with very good accuracy. Last year I hunted with them the accuracy is that good. I have been shooting them out of some of the other rifles and they are doing well...

Perhaps Triple Se7en will pick up on this post. He shoots an Omega and has some good load information on them.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:32 PM

Try finding bullets with thinner sabots. They are not all the same, nor are the inside diameters of different barrels. I couldn't tell you which is which though.

Just a thought any way.

Paul
Old 10-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had the same issue this summer in my 700mls, hard loading after using the alky/windy solution between shots on the same bullets. In my case my groups with the tight follow ups were aweful.I figurethe outside temperature also may have played a factor(excessive plastic fouling,etc)but I had some TC 13 BP solevant sitting on the shelf& gave it a go the next trip, end of problems. I previously used the 50/50 mixture without issue, so not sure why now the reaction?? I would try a different swab mixture just to see if it isn't drying out your bore. If this doesn't help then like mentioned have a easier follow up load forjust in case purposes.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:07 PM

Guys, thanks for the suggestions.

I haven't tried the No Excuses conicals. I did find the website and will order some soon to try them out. How would you describe the accuracy and range of these projectiles? I'd be curious as to how they compare with the sabots.

As for the tough seating of a bullet following the first shot, I will try the #13 bore cleaning solution to see how that compares at the range.

So many bullet, load, & cleaningcombinations to try.. so little time..

Old 10-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Dominant Buck

The 460 grain No Excuse Conicals shoot very well. I would not even hesitate at a target 100 yards and under. I ws shooting some today out of a new rifle and they look like they will do real well. I have to back up some and test them at longer distances now to see just what they are able to do.

Where I live, a 100 yard shot is a very long distance. Most my shots are i the 50 yard or under range...

If you have a real tight bore then you could look for .429 diameter projectiles instead of .431 and the .451 instead of the .452 they will make the loading easier. Speer makes some good bullets and so does Buffalo Bullet Company.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:07 PM

To echo Psycho Smurf, try other sabots.I have measuredT/C sabots at 0.509" with a 0.452" bullet, MMP sabots at 0.507" and Harvesters at 0.505". I almost had tohammer the T/C sabots down my T/C Omega barrel which hasa 0.509" groove diameter. While I still use T/C Shockwaves for deer and elk, I just toss the T/C sabots in the trash (to keep them from ever getting mixed up with any others) and load the Shockwaves in Harvesters. Same for XTP Mag bullets. The second shot still goes down harder, but it's easier if the sabot diameter is a little less than the groove diameter. You can buy Harvester sabots through Cabelas.

Usually I take the time toput a spit patch or a patch with 50/50 windshield wiper fluidand 91% isopropyl alcoholdown the barrel before reloading. The deer and elk seem to go further and faster if they're immediately pressed after being shot, so I let them settle down before following the blood spoor. If you stick the first bullet where it counts, you'll get the animal regardless of how fast you load the second sabot.

Isee you're using Pyrodex. Have you tried Black Mag 3? It burns much cleaner, and it's easier to ram the second sabot home. My recipe is Winchester or Remington primers, Black Mag 3, Harvester sabots, and 50/50 windshield wiper fluid/alcohol between shots.

Good luck!

Paul (rabbitbuster)

"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." -- Marcus Aurelius

Old 10-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

"I've shot a few Powerbelts in the past without issue,"

Go back to the Powerbelts.......
Old 10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

I would suggest testing out XTPS from Hornady. I use the 240 grain out of my T/C Black Diamond XR. The best wayI've found to reloadat the range is to run a clean patch down the barrel and if needed put some bore butter on the end of the sabot. I also found thatI can get very close groups by using loose pyrodex powder. It also seems to not leaveas muchresidue in the barrelleaving it easier to reload.