Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot the new Omega

Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot the new Omega

Went out Sunday and shot for the first time with my new Omega. It was my first time ever loading and shooting any ML.
I was a bit nervous, wanting to do everthing just right. I had my manual out, everything laid out on the bench at range. Read the manual again.

When i finally shot the gun I was almost surprised it fired thinking that I was going to forget something.

I kept a written checklist of things I need to do after each shot as far as cleaning and loading. Went over that checklist as I prepared for each shot.
Well I shot the gun 9 times that session and I have to tell you by the end i was having a lot of fun. It was shooting great goups and itfelt awesome in my hands.
Once again I want to thank all of you who have helped me select this gun.
For now since the groups were good, I'm going to jjst practice with those through this muzzleloader season (Dec12 the here in WV)
I'm looking forward to trying different powders and bullets and really getting all I can out of the gun.
For now though I just need to practice, practice and practice again

Old 10-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shot the new Omega

I'm glad to hear your first outing with the rifle went well. The important thing is you took your time and had reference material in case you got into a problem. These rifles are really a great experience. Those that shoot them learn quick how fast it seems, all they want to hunt with is muzzleloaders. Many of my friends even though can hunt with modern rifles at times still choose to use a muzzleloader.

They are accurate and if you tweak that load your using it will only get better. The more you shoot the more comfortable you become with them. Again, glad to hear your experience was so positive and I am sure when the time comes to hunt with one you will do fine. There is nothing as satisfying as your first black powder hunt.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot the new Omega

I was surprised with the accuracy. I was expecting to be all over the place until I was more experienced at seating the bullet and cleaning the rifle between shots