Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

150 G pyro loads ??

Old 11-17-2005, 06:56 PM

Default RE: 150 G pyro loads ??

My rifle is rated for 120 grns of black powder. Like said above, not all powders are the same. I can't throw 120 grns of 777fffg in it and still have it be safe. It might take it, but I don't want to be the one to find out.

I have found that mine shoots best with 95-100 grn of pyrodex, 105-110 grns of clean shot and around 90 grns of 777.

And with the proper bullets mine is plenty flat enough and has more than enough energy to do what I wan't with it.

I think the magnum charges work well with heavier bullets, but some may have problems with large charges and lighter bullets looking for the most speed they can get. I think you can reach a point where the bullet is just too fast for the barrel. I have the same problem with my slug gun. If I try to shoot the new slugs that are faster than 1700 or 1800 fps my accuracy at 100 yards just isn't there. At least not with the bullets that are currently on the market.

Not every rifle is the same though, so sometimes you can make it work, other times maybe not, or it may be very difficult to find the right combo. Some times a longer heavier bullet might help, or a different sabot. Bullet design is a big part of accuracy sometimes.

Paul
Old 11-18-2005, 02:50 AM

I should have known using the word FEAR was going to pull some chains. I change the word to apprehension. I thank everyone for the responses.Your responsesjust made Me more cautious when working up these loads during testing. It is like any other center fire rifle, go for the accuracy and the rest is sausage and jerky. Thanks !!!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why does the T/C Encore warn against using smokeless powder?

ORIGINAL: kevin1

If long range shots are unavoidable in your situation then I'd reccomend that your change to a Savage smokeless ML .
Old 11-18-2005, 08:39 PM

The Savage 110 ML is the only muzzloading rifle that I am aware of that is rated for smokeless powder. It has some kind of special vent to prevent a pressure spike from blowing up the gun.

Considering how much zip you can get with three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets, I never have really considered purchasing the Savage. Back in my early days of in-line muzzleloading, I experimented a bit with smokeless load in a KnightRifle. I now know just how hazardous this could have been . . . but the only thing I really learned was that the extra heat and pressure made it difficult to get sabot loads up to even the same speedas 150 grains of pellets without accuracy problems. The only loads that really worked for me with smokeless were lead conicals at around 1600 fps.

I have since been enlightened as to the hazards of smokeless powder. Please don't even try it in an Encore. It could hurt you.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Besides in most states using smokeless powder in muzzle loading season is not legal anyway. Probably would be during shotgun, but I would check.

The savages are nice weapons though. I know some one that owns one, and there are few here that have them. If I could afford one I would get one.

I also think it is the only ML rated for smokeless powder, and you had better follow the loading data pretty close.

Paul
Old 11-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

My rifle is rated for 120 grns of black powder. Like said above, not all powders are the same. I can't throw 120 grns of 777fffg in it and still have it be safe. It might take it, but I don't want to be the one to find out.

I have found that mine shoots best with 95-100 grn of pyrodex, 105-110 grns of clean shot and around 90 grns of 777.

And with the proper bullets mine is plenty flat enough and has more than enough energy to do what I wan't with it.

I think the magnum charges work well with heavier bullets, but some may have problems with large charges and lighter bullets looking for the most speed they can get. I think you can reach a point where the bullet is just too fast for the barrel. I have the same problem with my slug gun. If I try to shoot the new slugs that are faster than 1700 or 1800 fps my accuracy at 100 yards just isn't there. At least not with the bullets that are currently on the market.

Not every rifle is the same though, so sometimes you can make it work, other times maybe not, or it may be very difficult to find the right combo. Some times a longer heavier bullet might help, or a different sabot. Bullet design is a big part of accuracy sometimes.

Paul

Same Here!