Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot Placement Thoughts??

Old 10-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Shot Placement Thoughts??

I am wondering if anybody here has used the shoulder shot with their ML on whitetails? I find myself in a bit of pickle as I always take the behind the shoulder shot but the buck I have been scouting all year has shifted his patterns as of late. The problem lies with I can not secure permission on the adjoining property...I have tried many times and get the same sour response. Any way tonight I found a nice draw in which I think I may be able to intercept him but I pretty much have to drop him where he stands...ok I have40-50 yards if he turns back to the east which I figure he will if hit or spooked. So thus my pickle I don't want him to make the property line and I also don't want to wound him with a poor % shot. Do I just forget about this spot / deer or do you think a shoulder shot will anchor him?

FYI, I am using 250gr SST behind 105 gr of FFG T7. My shot will be 80-100 yards. It shoots wonderfully so putting there isn'tthe problem and I have a shooting rest in my blind so it will be solid. BTW, I can't let him come out more as the draw is only partially on my land, the portion in which I was planning to setup actually juts out the 40-50 yards from the property line(widest point)it is between to large wooded areas.

Any thoughts? I will need to drop my crosshairs to be bang on at 100 and if the wind is right would like to head out weds evening.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shot Placement Thoughts??

As far as taking a shoulder blade shot and breaking the deer down, I see no problem with the bullet and powder charge you're using to get the job done. Poster Omega showed that moose shoulder blade broken by the same bullet and a little more powder. I am sure what you have loaded would blow that out without a problem.

Another shot I like is when they quarter to tuck it behind one shoulder through the vitals and into the off shoulder. Many times that will knock them off their feet also.

Neck shots at long distances are risky and especially with a muzzleloader, and spine shots are tuff to judge on a big buck. I think what you're planning will work fine.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:11 PM

I had this bullet, with a little more powder behind it, go clear through an elk broadside a few weeks ago. I'm sure it will break both shoulders of a whitetail. There is a grapefruit sized spot where the shoulders come up to the spine. Put it there and they will drop.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:16 PM

Every area has different game laws I know - however, your laws probably say (as they do here in Manitoba) that you as a hunter must make every effort to recover a wounded/downed animal, including if the animal enters private property. I know it might be a hassle but should the deer enter the adjoining property, possibly you could enlist the help of your local conservation officer/game warden/natural resources person?

Just a thought.......
Old 10-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys for the quick response.

Cayugad, I like the quarter awayshot as well but am not sure I will be able to rely on getting one. Having never put it in the shoulder with ML I just wanted some experiences...back up if you will. Most of my deer have gone down in short order but it is that ODD one that went further than supposed to that is haunting me right now and causing a wrestling match in my head.

The 1/4 away shot is my favorite on a buck with a CF...so I know it is very effective. I also don't like neck, heador spine shot regardless of the distance/weapon so that would fall into the low % area I referred to in my original post.

randyh, yes that is a possibility but I would rather not cross that bridge if possible. She made it quite clear that she wanted no blood on her side of the line...urg!!!! I can see nothing but grief if the CO's had to be called[:'(]!

Let me state that unless the shot was absolutely perfect no way I will pull the trigger.

Thanks again
Old 10-17-2005, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I am wondering if anybody here has used the shoulder shot with their ML on whitetails? I find myself in a bit of pickle as I always take the behind the shoulder shot but the buck I have been scouting all year has shifted his patterns as of late. The problem lies with I can not secure permission on the adjoining property...I have tried many times and get the same sour response. Any way tonight I found a nice draw in which I think I may be able to intercept him but I pretty much have to drop him where he stands...ok I have40-50 yards if he turns back to the east which I figure he will if hit or spooked. So thus my pickle I don't want him to make the property line and I also don't want to wound him with a poor % shot. Do I just forget about this spot / deer or do you think a shoulder shot will anchor him?

FYI, I am using 250gr SST behind 105 gr of FFG T7. My shot will be 80-100 yards. It shoots wonderfully so putting there isn'tthe problem and I have a shooting rest in my blind so it will be solid. BTW, I can't let him come out more as the draw is only partially on my land, the portion in which I was planning to setup actually juts out the 40-50 yards from the property line(widest point)it is between to large wooded areas.

Any thoughts? I will need to drop my crosshairs to be bang on at 100 and if the wind is right would like to head out weds evening.

Thanks
The high shoulder shot is a classic to drop a deer in it's tracks.......with a high powered rifle like a .30-06.

Even if it physically does not destroy the spinal column between the shoulders, thetremendous energy transfer/shock power to the spinal region, temporarily paralyzes the the respiratory system, deer suffocates before the shock effect wears off, etc.

Muzzleloaders don't produce that level of energy...given the tight property confines you've described, your prowess with that scoped rifle, and the solid rifle rest on your stand, if it was me, I'd shoot itinthe head.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:54 PM

I would go with a heavier non jacketed bullet myself. Then take the shoulder shot or a neck shot if you think you can pull it off. You better know your gun and your load at that distance though.

Or if you don't think you can recover the animal, don't take the shot at all. Nothing is a garauntee. Hunting property lines is pretty risky, especially if the other owner is not very sympathetic to hunters.

Paul
Old 10-18-2005, 07:19 AM

You need to start food plotting your land to death with tons of cover, and give the deer every reason to stay on your land and not go to her cutesy deer TB passing (I mean feeding station.) Just a thought.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken 3 whitetails in the past 2 years with the 250 gr SST and 90 grs Pyrodex RS with the high shoulder shot...all 3 dropped in their tracks...I have had the same reaction with my .54 flinter and 80 grs ff and my .243...if you want to drop them that is the place to go...it gives you a little more leeway than the head or neck shot...a high lung shot is also a good area for a high powered rifle....but with a muzzleloader you will bust up the shoulder blade and spine and they will hit the ground...Good Luck
Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 AM

Skeet you are worried about NOTHING! There is no need to change bullets, loads or anything else in your gun. The 250SST will pulverize BOTH shoulders without much problem. I shoot the 300SST and most of my buddies shoot the 250SSTs in our Savage smokeless'. I nailed a doe lastyear at 115 and purposefully drilled her through both ball joints. DOWN GOES FRASIER!!! She fell so fast she still had Tecomate in our mouth and the other deer just stood their and looked at her. The big 300 plowed through both shoulder joints like hot butter, and the 250SST killed deer I have seen with my friends and customers have all be exactly alike.

Drop em where they stand!!!
RA

ps
If you really hammer him in the shoulders and for some reason he DID make it a few yards over the line, forget that old byotch and just get over there real quick and drag YOUR buck back over. Some things are better left unasked and just DONE!

Quick Reply: Shot Placement Thoughts??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.