Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot Placement Thoughts??

Old 10-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shot Placement Thoughts??

Agree with red,I dropped 3 last year with the sst 250 out of a savage,and one the year before with a encore.
Shot one running at 65 yds,hit it dead center of the shoulder bullet went through both shoulders deer dropped soon as I fired.shot one in the head at 50 yds,took most of he top of it's head off,dropped where it stood,shot one at 234 yds just behind the shoulder,it took 2 steps and dropped. One with the encore was 45 yds shot just behind the shoulder it made it about 15 yds,bullet passed complete through and I have never seen so much blood where it was standing.It was with a 200 gr sst.
I would use the sst and if it ran some over the line I too would just leave my rifle on my side and drag the deer back accross the line.
Hope you get him.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

LikeI said I don't consider head or neck shots with any weapon, too much can go wrong with this part of the body that moves without warning!!

I stopped at the range on the way home tonight to confirm the zerofor 100. Like I said if the shot isn't their I won't risk it all things considered. So thanks for the input.

Red, you hit it on the head she is a Bych but I want to do everything in my power to keepall parties smiling..if something should happen I'll cross that bridge at that time. I feel confident in my abilities and know my ML very well, so it's just a matter of waiting for the right situation.

Herman thanks, me too I have been scouting this area hard the pastfew years. Last year I took my first buckin the yearsI have huntedthis property an over the hill 5x5 NT on the last sit of the season...not really what I expected but he was hurt and I figured might as well end both of our misery.

I'll be sure to post back to what happens! Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter,
I also prefer a behind the shoulder shot because I like to save the meat. But, I have hit several deer through both shoulders with a rifle, and one with a 460 gr. slug out of my side lock. Only one died on the spot, and even with both shoulders broken down, they amazingly seemed to crash out 40 or 50 yards. In other words, I would not bet on a drop where they stand shot even though the shoulder shot would probablymake for a shorter tracking job.

I don't know how it is in Canada but here in Texas you just cross over and get your deer. The blood on the ground does not stay long, and if she runs out and catches you just a few yards on her land retrieving your deer, I would hand her your roll of toilet paper when she makes a butt of herself.

C. Davis
Old 10-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

C. Davis one thing I have learned about whitetail is expect the unexpected! This especially includes reaction to the shot.

Here the letter of the law is you can not retrieve game on posted land without A permission from the landowner or renter or B accomanied by a CO. Pretty cut and dry, if I got caught crossing over her line then I would be in violation by definition of the law, even with being able to prove it was harvested legally. Since I have spoken to her about this, I really have 2 choices should I shoot a deer and it jumps the line. Hope I don't get caught or call the CO and wait for him to aid in retrieval. So if it should happen I am not lost, I am just hoping to avoid such a situation.

Again there will be no "lead in the air, hope in the heart" shots at this deer, it will be all or nothing!Either way it is already beenemotional/mental battle and I haven't even sat it yet!!!

I am figuring if I get the right wind I will at leastsit it a time or two to get a feel for how realistic mythought process is. If it isn't doable I will just slip back to my other blind and hope once the smell of fluff is in the air he may venturein other directions.

Thanks again for allthe input...much appreciated.

Best of luck to all this season!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I am wondering if anybody here has used the shoulder shot with their ML on whitetails? I find myself in a bit of pickle as I always take the behind the shoulder shot but the buck I have been scouting all year has shifted his patterns as of late. The problem lies with I can not secure permission on the adjoining property...I have tried many times and get the same sour response. Any way tonight I found a nice draw in which I think I may be able to intercept him but I pretty much have to drop him where he stands...ok I have40-50 yards if he turns back to the east which I figure he will if hit or spooked. So thus my pickle I don't want him to make the property line and I also don't want to wound him with a poor % shot. Do I just forget about this spot / deer or do you think a shoulder shot will anchor him?

FYI, I am using 250gr SST behind 105 gr of FFG T7. My shot will be 80-100 yards. It shoots wonderfully so putting there isn'tthe problem and I have a shooting rest in my blind so it will be solid. BTW, I can't let him come out more as the draw is only partially on my land, the portion in which I was planning to setup actually juts out the 40-50 yards from the property line(widest point)it is between to large wooded areas.

Any thoughts? I will need to drop my crosshairs to be bang on at 100 and if the wind is right would like to head out weds evening.

Thanks
IF you can arrange for your bullet to hit on or near the spine right behind the shoulder blade, the deer WILL drop on the spot! I hit a 700-pound bull elk on that spot two years ago, and he hit the ground so fast he'd disappeared from view before I could recover from the recoil. I saw his buddies run off, and I thought he'd gotten away. When I walked over to where he'd been standing to look for blood, I found himlaying behind a big log......

"I had this bullet, with a little more powder behind it, go clear through an elk broadside a few weeks ago. I'm sure it will break both shoulders of a whitetail. There is a grapefruit sized spot where the shoulders come up to the spine. Put it there and they will drop."

This is what I'm trying to describe......

Old 10-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Update: finally got the right wind and sat it. However it appears all my worry is for not. I don'tsee an absolute would be possible with their travel pattern for theonly good location I can sit. I watched several deer filter through the draw(including the big boy)and the best shot presented was a 1/4 towards, most were head on(including him). Justam not comfortable with the entire circumstances surrounding this location, so basically resorted to the fact I will have to come up with another plan(which includeslots of hoping/praying he moves back to my does)or switch my eyes to another prize. I guess thats why they calling it hunting[&o]!

Thanks again for the responses and all the food for thought.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:02 PM

Skeeter - thanks for being an ethical hunter - although I would have been tempted by the head-on shot. I have taken two deer and elk with that shot, and both have just dropped.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Roskoe, exactly why I have came to this conclusion, after seeing how they move through this small window of opportunity the temptation is far to great and I ain't about to wound a deeron the accountof my greed or emotions. The shot was never presented so it really wasn't tempting THIS TIME! He took the less travelled route as bucks often do and only gave me a quick glimpse, at that the only thing really visible was his head/face/rack. He was over 100 yards away and would had to be an off hand shot.A shot I wouldn't attempt under any circumstance! In my younger days Imay haveforced the issue, possibly get a chance/make a poor decisionor blow that buck right out of thearea. Now I know sometimes you have to tip your hat to your worthy opponent and hope you meet again. The only saving grace is soon his head up top will not control his legs as much and he might make a mistake.

Thanks again

Old 10-23-2005, 07:01 PM

congrats skeeter 7MM - I think you absolutely did the right thing. Everyone should read your last post carefully. It speaks volumes. Well, off to grab some shuteye soon - muzzleloader starts tomorrow here in Manitoba!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

skeeter 7MM I commend you on being the kind of person to do the right thing. All too often people see the same thing you did and throw a shot. Then they end up with a spooked or worse yet wounded deer. Making the right decision is what hunting is all about... Your a hunter. Maybe the next time the two of you meet it will be under different circumstances...

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Shot Placement Thoughts??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.