Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

THIS DADGUM RAIN

Old 10-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default THIS DADGUM RAIN

I'm in North Carolina and ML season in NC opens tomorrow. We have the remnants of a tropical storm passing slowly through our state for the next few days.The forecast is for rain on and off all day tomorrow and through till some time next week.

I probably shouldn't go, but I'veonly had my ml for three weeks and we only get six days ml season herein NC. I spent an awful lot of money not to hunt tomorrow, so I have decided to go anyway.

I was wondering what I need to do differently with my inline than I would do with my .270 WSM. I know I've got keep the powder dry but that about the extent of my knowledge.

My ML is a Thompson Center Omega stainless with laminated stock. I will be using two 50gr pyrodex pellets, 250 T/C Shockwave, and Winchester 209 primers.

I would appreciate any help.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: THIS DADGUM RAIN

Since you're shooting a T/C Omega the breech of the rifle is basically water proof from rain. I am sure if you threw it in the lake, it might get wet sooner or later. Go to Wal Mart and in the pharmacy section are things called FINGER COTS. The look like a small balloon or condom if you may. You stretch one of them over the muzzle of the rifle and that will keep the water out of that end. Feel free to shoot right through the finger cot. It will not effect accuracy.

If you are in the rain all day and do not get an oppertunity for a shot, for your own sake, fire the rifle off at the end of the day. This will do a couple things for you. It will prove to you that the rifle would have fired if you would have needed it. That builds confidence in your rifle and your load. Also it will show you that the accuracy is still there. And it will make you aware that you need to clean the rifle One shot out of it is not all that hard to clean for the next day.

This finger cot is the way to go. It will prove to you that the weather is not going to stop you but instead.. help you ...
Old 10-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: THIS DADGUM RAIN

Thank you Cayugad. You have been very helpful in the numerous questions I have had as I entered the black powder world. Every suggestion or answer has been right on the money. Thank you again for taking your time to help us neophytes.