Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

REMEMBER THE PEIFER

Old 10-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default REMEMBER THE PEIFER

Anyone shooting a Peifer Rifle Muzzleloader? I'd be interested in what load your shooting.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: REMEMBER THE PEIFER

I was hoping that there was another Peifer Rifle shooter out there. It's been awhile since this rifle was made. I might be wrong, but I think it was one of the 1st muzzleloaders to use 209 primers (1993)
For those who do not know what the rifle looks like, I'm going to try and post picture. I can shoot better than I post pictures....usually?

Old 10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Well that picture posted "ok" maybe I can do it again?
This is sketch of how she works. The cocking lever is RH or LH. The 209 primer holder is inserted in front of the trigger guard.
The barrel is a.50 cal Douglas S.S.match grade, Bell & Carlson stock.
The rifle sold new for around $650.00 It was made by Ralph Peifer of Nakomis, Il The serial # on this rifle is 56
She's quite the shooter.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Dominant Buck

With a Douglas barrel and a Bell & Carlson stock I am sure it is quite a shooter. I had never heard of the rifle before, but that is not all that big a suprise since I really only got into the inline part of the rifles about two years ago. Douglas Barrels are good barrels generally. What twist rate did it have?

The neighbor up the road showed me a inline he bought in 93. It was a Country Boy .50 caliber. I looked at it and thought to myself that I was glad he owned it and not me. He said he only paid I think it was $99.00 for it, and has never shot the rifle......
Old 10-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

The .50 cal barrelis 24" longhas a 1-28" twist and they also made a .45 cal. in 1-20"
I know shortly after the rifle came out, PSE(bows)was looking at buying the business from Ralph.
At one time Ralph made triggers for Knight, once Tony found out Ralph was in the process of coming out with his own rifle, he dropped doing any further business with Ralph Peifer.
This rifle has one of the fastest lock times even by todays standards and a very sweet trigger! It's draw backs were $ and that it took awhile to disassemble and clean.
I get mine out every now and then, but for the most part it sits in the gun cabinet.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

How does that screw device work in loading the 209? Is there an opening in the action that allows access to the primer holder or must it be dropped down and out of the rifle to put the primer in? Shoot the other side of that rifle's action, them maybe I'll understand. I had "heard" of the rifle only in reading brief mention elsewhere on the internet, but these are the first pics I've seen. Interesting - and the pic is excellent, just need another.

Looking at it further, I can see how it could bevery difficult to clean. I am guessing the answer to my previous question is no on the action opening.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:05 PM
BS

Years ago, I got to handle one of these at a 'show' in Lansing MI. As I remember, a very nice rifle with a twist of the trigger guard to cock it. Guess they were to much ahead of there time!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Underclocked,
BS is correct...you rotate the trigger guard left or right to cock the rifle. By cocking the rifle it automatically sets the thumb safety.
The primer holder is inserted from the underside of the rifle in front of the trigger guard. Once inserted you twist it 90 degrees to hold it in place, rotate it another 90 degrees and it''s in line with the hammer and ready to fire.
The rifle came with two primer holders. I liked this feature whencrossing fences and climbing in and out of treestands. Just give it a twist and put it in your pocket.
There's a post for decapping on the back side of the trigger guard. Rotate the trigger guard and decap the fired primer on this post. It worked pretty slick.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Trigger guard rotated to cock inpicture above.
Picture below shows primer holder ready to be inserted

Old 10-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the clarification. Good pics again. I would say - except for the cleaning issue, that is one heck of a design.

Quick Reply: REMEMBER THE PEIFER

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.