Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel Finishes

Old 10-03-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Barrel Finishes

I took the required Muzzleloader corse up here to hunt with a muzzleloader over the weekend. It got me all jazzed about buying a muzzleloader.
My question is what finish would you experianced muzzleloaders sugjest for a first muzzleloader? Taking in consideration that the primary purpose of the gun is Hunting.
Are camo finishes on a barrel a good idea?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Barrel Finishes

Being where you live, I might look into Stainless Steel because of the rain and humidity, especially if you hunt around salt water. If you don't like the looks or the cost of Stainless Steel,a simple blue one will do. Keep good quality oil on it, and it will be fine. I never saw the advantage of a camo barrel. Not even for turkey hunting. I shot many of them with an old double barrel, whilewearing flannel shirts and blue jeans long before these camo painted shotguns ever got invented. I think the camo stocks and barrels are a sales gimmick. Although I do have one rifle with a camo stock. The sale was too good to pass it by. I'd of bought it if it had been a black composite stock too.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Barrel Finishes

I gather you are interested in an In-line type of ML, one that will accept a scope of some sort?

Don't overlook a quality production sidelock percussion in 50 or 54 caliberas your first ML. I would wager that a sidelock is a bit more versatile and less expensive.for hunting, small game, targeting and plinking when shooting strictly patch and roundball.

For sidelock percussions:
Thompson/Center Hawken & Renegade, Lyman Trade and GPR rifles are really nice

I have many more sidelocks than I do in-lines and I shoot and hunt with sidelocks about 90+% of the time.

Back to inlines, which is what I think you are interested in.

Camo is not needed unless it really makes you feel better, the game will not object if you go with simple bluing, nickel or stainless.

For a first ML, not knowing what you budget is I would suggest one of the break action or drop action types in 50 caliberthat are among the easier to maintain.

Break actions include: Thompson/Center Encore, Knight Vision, Traditions Pursuit Pro (not the LT) and CVA Optima Pro. There are others as well.

Drop actions include: Thompson Center Omega, Knight Revolution, CVA Kodiak.

Take a look at some of the used ML's. You can sometimes find some really nice one's if you scrounge frequently.

I recently purchased my second T/C Omega for$200 in mint condition from a fella out of work. Stainless steel with Laminated Thumbhole stock (Retails for over $550). Going to top it with a Leupold VX-III 2.5x8, Leupold QR base and QR High Rings.

Best of luck!