Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabots?

Old 09-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sabots?

Does anyone have an opinon on using other bullet types over Sabots. I have tried Maxiballs and these seem to shoot tighter groups over my Sabots (Maxi Loads). Some one has suggested to me that the newer Powerbelt type of loads are better in accuracy since the jacket barrel interface is not there.

What are you all seeing?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sabots?

A lot of whether sabots will outshoot conicals depends on the rifle. Some rifles shoot conicals very accurately and there is nothing wrong with the knock down powder of a conical bullet. Other rifles shot sabots much more accurate. Also many people think that sabots have a longer knock down range then the heavy conicals. Actually that is not all true. With practice, sabots can be made to shoot long distances real accurate, the same a sabots.

What I am getting at is... if your rifle shoots conicals like the Maxi ball or even the Powerbelts better then the sabots then by all means use the sabots. Shot placement is whats important. If you can not put that projectile in the right spot whether it is a sabot or a conical would make no difference.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nord QC Bouman

I shoot sabots and the biggest reason for me is "Time in Flight," Velocity and flatter shooting is really important. I feel I can develope greater velocities, flatter shooting, ft. pounds of energy more quickly over a greater range.

My personal opinion is that Power Belts would be down my list of alternatives. The only positive I can think of is that they ARE easy loading. They did not give me the performance on animals that I expected or wanted. On paper they worked great.

And as cayugad noted there really isn't a lot wrong with conicals - if you like them. There are a lot of ML people using them and there is a lot of people that feel bigger heavier sloweris better. It is just hard to convert an old 270 shooter to bigger heavier slower.

Hope you find your answers...
Old 09-29-2005, 07:10 PM

I think the sabots really start shining when shots get out there beyond 150 yards. They also carry more speed to the target, and subsequently can create a bigger wound channel. But don't underestimate the knockdown of the big bullet - if you can connect.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Spike

I am using PowerBelt 245 gr hollow points and am very pleased. I am getting tight groups at all ranges and they are much easier to load than sabots. You will notice some resistance after a few shots near where the bullet seats but nothing like I have had in the past with sabots. I am also using 100gr charge of.777 pellets which is much easier to clean than Pyrodex or black powder. It does blow a major smoke cloud though and it takes a couple of seconds to see your target.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:08 AM

I used 348 Powerbelts this year with 3 777 pellets, easy to load, even after 2 or 3 shots. 2 does knocked flat so far.....
Old 09-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the advice -

On the pellets - I use 777 powder up to MAG loads and I had looked at pellets - they recommend a clean after each shot? I this what you guys see with pellets?

Old 09-30-2005, 12:27 PM

I had no problem reloading with 2 and 3 pellets with 348 Powerbelts after 3 shots in a row......