Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

25 ACP or variflame adapters

Old 09-27-2005, 08:43 AM

Default 25 ACP or variflame adapters

I was thinking about getting either the variflame primer adapters or the 25 acp conversion for my omega. They both use small rifle primers, but the 25 acp conversion is more expensive. I was just wondering if one is better than the other before spend my money.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:40 AM

Default RE: 25 ACP or variflame adapters

I wasn't familiar with either until I checked out the following site and studied up on the concept. There are some interesting things on this site.

http://www.bpbullets.com/thompson%20...%20encore.html

My gut feeling is that $60 is a lot to spend on the 25 ACP conversion kit when there is a much less expensive alternative on the market: Remington Kleenbore Primers for MLs. I know there has been lots of discussion here as to whether they're worth $5 for 100, but I'd shoot them against the standard 209 primer and objectively compare their performance before dropping $60 on the 25 ACP item.

With all the talk about the overkill of the standard 209 primer in MLs, I gotta believe that there will be other alternatives introduced into the market soon that will allow a person to make use of the existing 209 primer setups. Yeah, I see CCI getting into the action and maybe even Winchester will improve their ML primer as some folks here think they're junk. Never tried Winchester ML primers myself.

In brief, as long as you can shoot a 4 inch group at your usual hunting range (only you know this), I'd hold off dropping that kind of scratch when I suspect other products will be introduced that are less oppressive on your wallet.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the omega I dont think you need them . 209s allways worked fine in mine . If you own a t-bolt or savage , or any gun that has a problem with primers going to pieces , the variflames solve it .
Old 09-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

I bought the .25ACP conversion for my Omega a couple of years ago before much else was available and personally I love it. I also have about several hundred .25 cases so that is not a problem. In addition to the improvement in the crud ring I like the convenience when handling the .25 brass over trying to handle the 209 primers. If I was going to do it again now I think I would still go with the .25 conversion although the suggestion to try the lower power 209 primers is a good idea also.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

I purchased the vari flame primer adapters and I wasn't the impressed at all. I tried using them in my .45cal Knight. I need to go back and give them another try someday using a differentprimer. Maybe it'll work better for me then.
I am interested in what others have to say "that have tried this" and what primer they used.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

I guess I am blessed with not having an issue with the factory set up and standard primers. I am glad they build stuff to help you guys that have problems with primers.

I would hope they build one with something that is more common to reload than .25ACP you know like 9mm or .380. Shell holders and such are found in more places.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

It's not that it doesn't already work, it's the tinkering to make it better that's fun!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

If you think the .25ACP is a pain you should consider what they made before deciding on the .25. They were taking .22 Hornet cases then cutting them off and making a very special piece of brass that did not fit anything else. Going to the .25ACP was a godsend considering all the work to make the .22 Hornet thing work. Hornet brass is not easy to find either. Once you have the reloading pieces the .25 brass lasts a long time. I was already set up to reload .25ACP (I really do not know what possessed me to do that) but I was all set when the conversion happened. .380 or 9mm is a little too large to function well as the extra volume in the brass would likely affect how the flame propagation developed (not sure that is a problem but I expect it is).
Old 09-27-2005, 08:35 PM

Is it true what they say, does the 25 acp improve accuracy and illuminates the crude ring?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deercrazy , I think the 25 acps will give you a much faster reload time , they are probably allot easyer to handel , remove and install than a 209 , and the variflames are the same size as a 209 . As far as the crud ring , I cant give a good answer , as I switched powders from 777 to black mag , at the same time I switched for win 209s to variflames . I will be useing variflames from now on , they are easy to recharge , small rifle peimers are cheap , and they pull right out of my savages bolt after fireing , something that the 209's would not do , they were a pain to get off of the bolt after every shot . As mentioned before some Muzzel loaders that dont break open , or have a falling block type of breach , and that have a bolt or inline type of action have a problem with primers going to pieces in the action when fired . Part of the primercan and will get stuck in the action and its a real pain to get it out , my friends t-bolt is famous for this , and the variflames cure it .