Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shotgun ?s

Old 09-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Spike

Default shotgun ?s

does anybody have any ballistic info on muzzle loading shotguns? i am thinking about getting one for turkey hunting but would like to know how hot they can be loaded. will they resemble a 3" turkey load?
Old 09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: shotgun ?s

From all my reading of different posts, shotguns such as the 12 gauge Knight TK2000 or the White Tominator can be loaded in such a manner that makes then lethal out to 40 yards. Many modern shotguns can not compete with that. Top that shotgun with a low power scope or red dot and your one shot is all you need.

I hunt with a smoothbore .62 caliber (20 gauge) and loaded with 80 grains of Goex 3f and 100 grains of #6 shot I consider this a 30 yard turkey gun. I have not found a turkey yet willing to prove my theory but from the testing on the range and the pattern of the gun, I am more then sure the gun could do it.

I have no ballistic information but would not hesitate to hunt turkey or waterfowlwith one of the modern shotguns. Load it right and it will do the rest...
Old 09-26-2005, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shotgun ?s

ORIGINAL: solbear66

does anybody have any ballistic info on muzzle loading shotguns? i am thinking about getting one for turkey hunting but would like to know how hot they can be loaded. will they resemble a 3" turkey load?
There's quite a bit of such info in the back section of the Dixie Gun Works catalog, and also in the old Lyman Black Powder Handbook.