Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone ever get a batch of bad powder?

Old 09-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anyone ever get a batch of bad powder?

While back I posted a loading/grouping problem with my ML. Been busy hunting elk and getting ready for draw moose but tonight thought I'd give a little update/ask a question. First problem was tough loading sabot, that was fixed the next trip to the range as the alky/washer mixture I used dried out the bore. However the more concerning problems was the group or lack their of really. Well on the following session it exhibited the same problem..literally spraying at 100 yards. I deceided to pick up a new can of T7 and low n behold problem fixed. The first can was new & just cracked on the range session where I experienced both problems. I returned to the reseller with targets in hand of course they did nothing. I emailed Hodgons but got the usual response of "no recalls or complaints..yatayata"basically avery nice PFO letter. I am just glad I figured out the problem.

Anybody else have this happen with a uncracked/new can of T7, Pyrodex or other powders? BTW, this was loose powder.

Thanks

You guys ready for season yet? Our ML deer season opens Oct 1 but will be leaving forthe moose hunt so I'll have to wait...well unless we tag out before weeks end....can't wait!

Best of luck, hope all have a successful and safe season.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone ever get a batch of bad powder?

Did you happen to smell any sulfur with that 777?????

One day at the range with a new 777 jug, my shot groups became erratic & I kept smelling the ol' Pyrodex I used many years ago. Another ML shooter was atseveral range tablesaway/downwind from me.. sohe was my "sulfur smell" suspect.

So later that evening at home I inspected the contents more thoroughly & discovered two different granule colors & grain sizes. Sure enough, I just spent a few afternoon hours at the rangethat day firing 25 shots usingapproximently 65% 777 FF/ 35% Pyrodex RS.Bothwere bottled at the same plant using overhead feeders that were not fully emptied when bottling shifted from Pyrodex to 777 on the supply line.

If you suspect this thru contents coloring differences & sudden smell of sulfur with 777 powders, contact Hodgdon for a prearrangedFed-Ex HAZMAT pickup/exchange.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone ever get a batch of bad powder?

T7, I can't say for sure b/c the 2 guysI went withboth use Pyrodex. I'll have to take alook at the remaining contents from the keg in question. Thanks for the comments.