Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cayugad

Old 09-19-2005, 07:38 PM

Default cayugad

I shot my Black Diamond XR 45 for the first time this evening, using those 460gr NoExcuses and I must say I'm pretty impressed. I used your load of 85gr as a starting point and got a 1 1/2 group @ 50 yds with open sights. Out of the 5 shots, one was a flyer but it was only out by 2 inches. If I have time tomorrow I'll zero it in play with the charge some to tighten that group up a bit.
Have you tried a wonder wad with these yet?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cayugad

WOW!! some nice shooting for the first time out with them No Excuse Conicals...

I have personally never used a wonderwad under them but I am going to try wonderwads on the next time out. I even thought of getting some MMP Sub bases and trying them with the sub bases. My Black Diamond XR has a scope but for first time out with the open sights, I would say you are doing exceptionally well. I think the down range accuracy and power of them is exceptional...

Keep me posted on how they do for you. When I try them next I will let you know what I come up with..
Old 09-20-2005, 12:43 AM

Here's a pic of my 5 shot group. I'm actually 4" to the right and 7" low of the bullseye.
If these NoExcuses will shoot this good from my CVA, I'll be set
Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been using Wonder Wads under a naked, pure lead home-cast MaxiBall in both a .45 and.50 caliber Hawken, and the grouping has been superb, plus NO LEADING at all!!

Old 09-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Dominant Buck

It looks like those are going to work real good for you. I think the first time you get a chance to use them hunting, you will be really happy with them.. Everyone that shoots them normally likes them.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:51 PM

I knew it was too good to be true! I went out and shot some more and my groups took a turn for the worse. 1st shot hit where I left off, 2nd hit about 6" lower, 3rd hit next to 1st and 4th hitabout 3" to the right of the 2nd.[:@]
I done everything the same except on the 1st outing Ishot3 of the sabots that came with the BDbefore I shot the NoEx's. other than that I done it all exactly the same. I think next time I'll back my charge down to 80gr and go from there
Old 09-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't feel alone...[] The other day I was testing some of the different projectiles out of my Knight Disc to see which ones shot well and which ones to avoid. As you can see, the 300 grain Hornady XTP's were doing pretty good, although I have no reason as to why two of them slipped off to the side. The Barnes Cannelure 250 grains shot great, as I expected them to do. Then I shot the No Excuse with a wonder wad under them and I had two sink on me. The 200 grain shockwaves did all right except for that one flyer, and I have no idea why that happened. I should add that later, I shot the No Excuse without the wad under them and filled the large bull with them. To be honest, I was having a hard time seeing that small bull, even though it stuck out like a sore thumb on that paper. It was just hard for me to focus that in with the open sights...

Next time out, I am going to cut the load down to 80 grains of Triple Se7en and see what the No Excuse do then. I really was hoping to get them shooting well, because they would make such a good woods load...

I guess we are just doomed to keep going out and shooting on the range...
Old 09-23-2005, 05:58 PM

I may have to try some of that T7,I havent yet cause I didnt want to fool with thecrud ring.right now I'm shooting pyro RS. I was wanting to try something else but around here theres not much selection, its eitherT7 or pyrodex. One day next week I'll shoot my CVA with the NoEx's to see whatI come up withthere. If it groups good the 1st outing and falls off the next,I'm thinking it may have something to do with the borebutter
Old 09-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Today I was checking the Wolverine II for the upcoming doe season. I wanted to make sure the short range and long range was good with the load I picked for it. I was shooting the 240 grain Thompson Center Mag Express XTP's with 90 grains of Goex 3f.

I know most of my shots will be 30 yards where I am going to be sitting, but there is the possibility of longer shots, so I started off the bench at 30 yards and was happy with what I saw. Then I pushed the bench rest to the 100 yard mark and fired at a 1" circle and was more then happy actually with that. I decided I was tired of pushing the bench rest cart around, so I grabbed a lawn chair and my shooting sticks and did a 75 and 50 yard couple of shots off the sticks and really could not complain too much about the way the rifle shot. I sure am impressed with that Sightron I scope I put on the rifle...

Now if deer season would just get here.....
Old 09-23-2005, 08:36 PM

I got real good groups with the hornady XTPs in 240gr with my CVA .45. BUT, I couldnt get my scope to zero in with them. They would always hit high left no matter how much I adjusted. I might try those XTPs in the Black Diamond to see how they shoot.

Quick Reply: cayugad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.