Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

289GR. REMINGTON SOLID COPPER BULLETS

Old 09-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default 289GR. REMINGTON SOLID COPPER BULLETS

I'm looking to buy or anyone that can help me find some Remington Solid Copper Bullets, 289 gr. They are my best shooting bullet in several of my T/C's and my inventory is running low. This is for a .50cal.
If anyone has any laying around collecting dust, even if it's not a complete package, I'd still be willing to buy them.
Does anyone else have any experience with these bullets?
I looked on Remingtons website and they are not listed. It looks like they've been discontinued??
Keep it in the10X.
ENCOREMAN
Old 09-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 289GR. REMINGTON SOLID COPPER BULLETS

If you do not find any of the projectiles you like, you might want to check into some of the Barnes Expander line of bullets. They are also a solid copper base projectile known for their excellent accuracy, excellent expansion, weight retention properties, but unfortunately price... I shoot the 250 grain Barnes Expanders and they have to be one of the best shooting hardest hitting bullet on the market. I just wish that some day they might come down in price enough where it would make it possible for someone to actually shoot them without breaking the bank. When you are throwing a dollar a shot down range, practice can be short.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,
"Thanks" but I've shot the 250gr. & 300 gr. Barnes and even though they shoot very well in my rifles they do not compare to the 289 Remington Solid Coppers in the accuracy dept.. I do not kow why, but most of my T/C's riflesw 1-28" twist love them....even my Encore 209X50 pistol. I've taken deer with them as close as 20yds.and as far as150yds. and they've performed excellent for me. If there was a flaw in there design it would be the petals tend to break off inside the animal, unlike the Barnes petals that will fold back.
The last few years I've spent shooting the .45's and I kinda lost track of the Rem. Solid Coppers. I bought a new Omega T.H. the other day and was going through the paces developing a load and once again the Remington's out shot everybullet I have. I sent Remington an e-mail the other day requesting info. on themand I'm hoping someone that uses this forum might be able to help too.
Dick's Sporting Goods had a sale on them 3yrs. ago and I bought all they had. I'm glad I did! I never realized how hard they would be to find just a few years later.
Keep it in the 10X
ENCOREMAN
Old 09-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

One of my favorite projectiles is the 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB which is a pure lead projectile with a spitzer point and a boattail on the back end. I get some excellent accuracy with my Black Diamond XR and I think the pure lead design will be the ticket on anything I shoot...

Good luck in your search for your special bullet. I understand how you get to like one projectile and do not want anything else.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 AM

I have been down this road. For me, they are the best shooting projectile that I have ever tried. I was able to buy up quite a few and don't use them to target shoot with. I have about 60 rounds left and try to only shoot about 5 a year. I just missed out on buying 16 packs a couple of months ago, but I don't think there is much inventory out there. FYI - Barnes manufactured these bullets for Remington. The 300 gr should be very comparable.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Ruben,
I'm glad that I'm not the only person who has had such good luck with the Remington Solid Coppers. I have about the same amount of inventory leftas you. Ican get sub 1" groups from5 shots @ 100yds. with heavy powder charges. It's fun to show off, when you have another person shooting a centerfire rifle alongside you and you're waxing his butt!
I didn't know that Barnes was making them for Remington. I've shot the 250 and 300 Barnes and like them, but they're not in the same league as far as I'm concerned. I'm playing with 245 & 285 Barnes now. I'll let you know if I come up with a good load. I know that I have some competition looking for these bullets now too.