Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Back from the hunt

Old 09-18-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Back from the hunt

Well folks I'm back from my week in the mountians of Colorado. I had a doe and cow tag and well the sad story is that I didn't make meat this year. This is only my second year hunting big game so I still have much to learn. I went out with my brother in law who filled his doe tag on day 2. He was using his CVA Optima Pro with 90 gr. Pyrodex RS, 295 Powerbelt Aerotip, Winchester 209 primer. He had a clean kill with a 48 yd. shot that hit the spine and took out two vertebrae. He said it dropped like a rock right where it stood. That was his fisrt big game ever.
After that we both walked approx. 40 miles througout the week through some very rugged terrain and never saw anything else. The unit (51) we were in is an undersubscribed unit and probably not the best for hunting. We were on public land and conditions weren't easy. It was so dry out (humidity under 15%) that just stepping on the ground sounded like the loudest crunching you could imagine. No matter how soft you stepped it was very loud. The wind was swirling for the last three days making it a tough go for sure. One thing can be said..... I had a great time. I learned a lot this year and will be trying again next year. Just think I have another year to practice and get to be a better shot. Well small game season starts in one month so I can pop some bunnies and squirrels with my .32 cal. Crockett. That is always a blast.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Back from the hunt

Finaddict,
You have the right attitude and eventually it'll all come together. It's nice to bring home game, but it's not what makes the hunt. One of my favorite hunts was in Nebraska, bowhunting mule deer with my cousin. We came close but came home empty handed.
You stated this was only your 2nd season big game hunting. My 1st love is my blackpowder guns, but with the longer bow seasons a person can learn so much more. Have you ever thought of bowhunting?
Keep it in the 10X,
ENCOREMAN
Old 09-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like you had an excellent hunt. As said, it is nice to harvest something but that is not the only reason why we hunt. You spent some quality time with friends in a beautiful setting doing something what it sounds like you love to do. I'd say you took home with you a lot more then most couch potatoes will ever realize. You took home memories that you will never loose.As you admit, this is only your second year trying. Well next year will be even more exciting. You have another year now to perfect your shooting and get ready for next season. Good luck bunny hunting.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes it's nice to harvest an animal, but as you get older you will enjoy
the outdoors more and the good times with your friends in camp.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:16 PM

I do have to say that the time spent with my brother in law (who is much more like the brother I never had) was nothing but top notch. The things I saw in the forest that I had no idea existed were amazing. I saw old quarys, outhouses, beaver ponds, and so many more beautiful meadows and aspen groves lined with pines, etc. I'm so grateful to be able to do things like hunt and be in the outdoors. It really is something that I don't ever want to take for granted.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:31 PM

Finaddict - you might check the "Leftover" list posted on the Division of Wildlife's website. There are still lots of elk licenses available. And you can participate in most of these hunts even if you already got a license through the drawing. Most of them are for 3rd or 4th season rifle cow tags - but it is a little more of a challenge to try it with a muzzleloader. And scopes, sabots, and pellets are legal in all Colorado rifle seasons. Roscoe